Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

ice_ping MarshalException from refreshSession in python

Hello,
while playing around with python demos from the book I came across a strange behaviour. Every time I try to get a session going between client and server an exception is raised:
[ 2011-01-14 16:29:49.656448 Server.py: Protocol: received request 
  message type = 0 (request)
  compression status = 0 (not compressed; do not compress response, if any)
  message size = 74
  request id = 3
  identity = 2F0A6DC7-6942-4E49-99B8-7FAD33A673CC
  facet = 
  operation = ice_ping
  mode = 0 (normal)
  context =  ]
2011-01-14 16:29:49.656677 Server.py: warning: dispatch exception: Object.cpp:352: Ice::MarshalException:
protocol error: error during marshaling or unmarshaling:
unexpected operation mode. expected = ::Ice::Idempotent received = ::Ice::Normal
identity: 2F0A6DC7-6942-4E49-99B8-7FAD33A673CC
facet: 
operation: ice_ping

and this is what the client sent:
[ 2011-01-14 16:29:49.656030 Client.py: Protocol: sending asynchronous request
  message size = 62
  request id = 3
  identity = DemoGlacier2/router
  facet = 
  operation = refreshSession
  mode = 0 (normal)
  context =  ]

However, this does not occur unless I provide my own SessionManager implementation, which looks like this:
class SessionManager(Glacier2.SessionManager):

def create(self, userId, controlPrx, current):
		s = Session()
		return Glacier2.SessionPrx.uncheckedCast(current.adapter.addWithUUID(s))

class Session(Glacier2.Session):
	pass

(I've removed everything in session class just to be sure it wasn't causing this error)

Basically, it's Glacier2/callback example from the demos, with added things like session manager registering in Server.run():
class Server(Ice.Application)
	def run(self, args):
		[...]
		sessManager = SessionManager()
		adapter.add(sessManager, self.communicator().stringToIdentity('Callback.SessionManager'))

and session ,manager configuration in glacier's config:
Glacier2.SessionManager=Callback.SessionManager:tcp -h 127.0.0.1 -p 10000

Client.py remained unchanged, since it already has session creating code in it.

I've tried variuos ways to circumvent this error including cutting out the callback management code altogether, providing a slice for me own session class extending Glacier2:Session and variuos configuration options of endpoint on the client etc. Nothing seemsy to work.

What really interests me about this error is what would glacier's router send ice_ping as normal instead of idempotent operation?

I've read Chat example's c++ source a dozen times and I can't find anything wrong with my code... even (un)checkedCast() on the session in client doesn't helped.
But maybe I am doing something wrong?

versions etc:
Ice 3.4.1
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)
MacOS 10.6.5 
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Jan  6 2011, 12:59:15) [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)]

also tested on winxp 32 bit with 3.4.1 binaries downloaded from the site and python 2.6.4

I hope I've provided all the information needed and despite me being a "Personal" user, someone with helpful advice will ariive :)

Best Regards
Filip

Comments

• I've tested ChatDemoGUI-Java to see how it uses refreshSession:
    -- 1/14/11 18:55:32:533 Protocol: sending asynchronous request
       message size = 58
       request id = 9
       identity = Glacier2/router
       facet = 
       mode = 0 (normal)
       context = 

so, "normal" mode seems to be ok here, but the router's name is different.
    I've changed mine just to be 100% sure, but it doesn't help:
    [ 2011-01-14 19:00:43.246609 Client.py: Protocol: sending asynchronous request
      message size = 58
      request id = 4
      identity = Glacier2/router
      facet = 
      mode = 0 (normal)
      context =  ]

---- SERVER:
    [ 2011-01-14 19:00:43.246958 Server.py: Protocol: received request 
      message size = 74
      request id = 3
      identity = B0F0E606-A748-4D86-85B3-1B5AE4E091A9
      facet = 
      operation = ice_ping
      mode = 0 (normal)
      context =  ]
    2011-01-14 19:00:43.257774 Server.py: warning: dispatch exception: Object.cpp:352: Ice::MarshalException:
    protocol error: error during marshaling or unmarshaling:
    unexpected operation mode. expected = ::Ice::Idempotent received = ::Ice::Normal
    identity: B0F0E606-A748-4D86-85B3-1B5AE4E091A9
    facet: 
    operation: ice_ping

Since I can't get c++ examples to build I'll modify python callback example to to see how it uses ice_ping and how server reacts to it.
  • mes
    mes California
    Hi Filip,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you've uncovered a bug. Actually, it's caused by a combination of issues.

If you're willing to rebuild the Ice for Python extension, I can describe how to temporarily work around the issue. We'll include a permanent fix in the next Ice release.

Regards,
    Mark
  • Well, that's just great :)
    I always seem to come across issues never heard of before...

I have already started to edit out all calls to refreshSession in Glacier2.py, putting ice_ping() (which works fine on it's own) in it's place. I would rather use the patch though, since I have no idea what other functions may be affected by those issues you've mentioned...

Thanks for warm welcome and speedy response :)
  • mes
    mes California
    This exception only occurs when a C++ or C# client makes an asynchronous invocation of one of the built-in operations (ice_ping, etc.) on a Python servant. Strange enough for you? :)

In your scenario, the bug is triggered by calling refreshSession on the router because the implementation of refreshSession invokes ice_ping asynchronously on the Python session manager.

To work around it, open py/modules/IcePy/Operation.cpp and comment out line 3671:

// __checkMode(op->mode, current.mode);

Disabling this call to __checkMode is harmless.

Regards,
    Mark
  • Strange enough :)
    Thanks for the patch, I'll get to it tomorrow and test it.

How come no one every got this kind of error? Are python bindings so rarely used?

Regards,
    Filip
  • Everything seems to be working now. However, Server.py still reports ice_ping as being sent as "normal" operation. I guess this can be ignored.
  • This problem existed before version 3.7.2? it will be resolved before 3.7.2 ?

• when push data to client from the server , it will case this question 。 the server is c++ and the client is python, ice 3.6 and ice3.7 all will occur。

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL

It's never a good idea to highjack an old discussion. The old problem - in 2011 - was related to operation modes and was fixed a long time ago.

I suggest you start a new discussion and describe your problem. From the screenshot above, it looks like a bug in the Python implementation of one of your Ice operations. Can you show the corresponding Slice definition and Python code?

Cheers,
    Bernard

This discussion has been closed.