Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceGrid Replica Names

I refer to the MP3Encoding example from the documentation:

<node name="Node1">
<server-instance template="EncoderServerTemplate"
index="1"/>
</node>
<node name="Node2">
<server-instance template="EncoderServerTemplate"
index="2"/>
</node>

Is there a way to avoid having to name each node differently? If I were going to deploy 100 nodes, this would seem like a massive cut-paste-edit operation.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

There's currently no way to avoid the copy/paste if you use the XML descriptors. Improving this is on our TODO list! The plan is to allow instantiating servers on nodes matching a given set of criterias.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hi Benoit,

Is this still on the TODO list or is this already implemented? I would like to use a variant number of nodes.
    Are there any workarounds for this if it is not yet implemented? Working without nodes and dynamic registration perhaps?

Kind regards
    Bob

EDIT: I know server instantiating is still there but that's not the same as dynamically adding nodes
  • I have the same question, but I think that we can make that easy by using the tool ‘IceGridGUI.jar’.
  • Yeah,
    if you know how many nodes you will need for your application the GUI is a nice tool but in my case i don't know how many servers/nodes i will use. In fact i'm trying to start each node dynamically to introduce scalability to distribute an application. So using this GUI won't solve my problem.

Regards
    Bob
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

No, there's not automatic way to do this. However, this is something you can easily implement yourself by modifying the deployment of your IceGrid application using the IceGrid::Admin interface.

Cheers,
    Benoit.