Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Compiling on Solaris 10...

Context: Ice 3.4.1
Sun Studio 12/gcc 3.4.2 (yes, you saw it right!)
Solaris 10
gmake 3.79.1

I have been successful with my Android testing in the context of Ice 3.4.1 and now want to use IceStorm to publish topics to an Android from the context of C++/Solaris10.

It seems that the supported C++ compiler changed between Ice 3.3.1 and 3.4.1 (sunstudio12 CC to GCC 4.3.2). It is a long and painful story, but, my first question is, do you still support the CC world in Ice 3.4.1 at all?

The second question is this....I am running gmake in the Ice-3.4.1-demos/demo/Ice/hello directory and am getting an unresolved symbol in ......../bin/slice2cpp: symbol _ZSt16__ostream_insertIcSt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIT_TO_ES6_PKS3_i: referenced symbol not found. It might be impossible to say, but is such an error indicative of outdated gcc/gmake on our systems?

I don't think I am being a knucklehead this time in my quest for support....but fear that I am a victim of *old* software in the gmake/gcc worlds which we have not updated...because we are not using these things. My life would be much easier if I knew there was a path to the promised land thru sunstudio and "make"....so I would not have to deal with the IT hassles of getting the "gnu" side of things updated. Does this path to the promised land exist?

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

ALex

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Alex,

We no longer support any version of Sun CC with Ice 3.4. If you need to use this compiler with Ice, you will need to build Ice and some third-party libraries used by Ice with this C++ compiler, which shouldn't be too difficult. One question is which standard library to use (the default is very old and limited, or the old stlport library that ships with the compiler ... no obvious choice unfortunately).

It is of course easier to use the binaries we provide, together with the compiler we support, the CoolTools GCC 4.3.2 for Sun Systems:
    Cool Tools at OpenSPARC T1

This compiler is not installed by default on your Solaris/SPARC system.

You may also find some helpful information in this thread:
    http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/5224-building-ice-cpp-solaris-10-sparc.html

Note that this thread is about building Ice and third-parties dependencies on Solaris 10 with this GCC compiler. You don't need to do all that; you can/should simply use the Solaris binaries from http://www.zeroc.com/download.html. Darren needs to build Ice from sources because the Asterisk SCF team made a number of changes to our source code.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Solaris 10 usage of Ice 3.4.1

Thanks Bernard....I abandoned my quest of using "Sun CC" for my Ice testing, downloaded the "GCC for Sun Systems" tar files, adjusted my develoment environment, and am now rocking....thanks. Perhaps there were release notes that I did not see or ?, but it was not entirely obvious to me that the "Sun CC" world was no longer supported as I was trying to use it.

In any event....thanks again for the course correction!

ALex