Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Windows 2000

I've got a need to get Ice working under Windows 2000. When I try to run some of the binaries or invoke some library API calls I get the error "The procedure entry point freeaddrinfo could not be located in the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll." So, I copied the WS2_32.dll from a Windows XP SP3 box to the Ice/bin directory on the Windows 2000 box. Then I got another error and copied another dll, and so on. Finally, it's to the point where it is missing something from ntdll.dll. That's a core kernel DLL and even copying that over does no good.

So, is there any way to get Ice working under Windows 2000? If I could find a version of Visual Studio that installs on Windows 2000 would compiling Ice on that platform work? What is the minimum version of Visual C++ required to compile Ice?

Thanks,

Isaac

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Isaac,

The most recent versions of Ice do not work on Windows 2000. Porting Ice to Windows 2000 (or more likely just a subset) should be reasonably straightforward; you could do it yourself, or if you prefer contract us to do it for you.
    So, is there any way to get Ice working under Windows 2000? If I could find a version of Visual Studio that installs on Windows 2000 would compiling Ice on that platform work? What is the minimum version of Visual C++ required to compile Ice?

You'd want a version of Visual Studio that supports Windows 2000, not necessarily one that installs on Windows 2000. (I doubt you want to develop on Windows 2000). The current version of Ice 3.4 supports Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010. It looks like Visual Studio 2008 still supports Windows 2000 (for run-time): Windows Platforms (CRT)

An alternative could be to use Ice 3.1.1, which supports Windows 2000 together with old versions of Visual Studio: ZeroC - Supported Platforms for Ice 3.1.1

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • An alternative could be to use Ice 3.1.1, which supports Windows 2000 together with old versions of Visual Studio

Hmmm... That might work, depending on features that were added. If I put a v3.1.1 Ice Grid Node binary onto a Windows 2000 node would it interoperate with my Ice Grid master node and my IcePatch2 server, which are version 3.4.1? Or, did those change too much between versions of Ice?

Thanks,

Isaac
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Isaac,

Unfortunately you can't use an IceGrid 3.1 node with an IceGrid 3.4 registry:

Upgrading your Application from Ice 3.3 - Interface Compatibility

Porting Ice 3.4 to Windows 2000 could be the best solution.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • OK, thanks. Unfortunately I lack the knowledge to port Ice to Windows 2000 and the budget to pay someone to do it. :(