Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Location of ICEJ_HOME on Red Hat?

What is the standard location of ICEJ_HOME on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5? I can't seem to find this in the documentation.

Our local Linux geeks installed via 'yum', and the jars wound up in /usr/share/java. Is this the usual location? How do I reconcile this with $ICEJ_HOME/lib in an Ant build.xml file?

Thanks from an Ice-on-Linux n00b.

edit: 'jum' -> 'yum'

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Chuck,

I confirm /usr/share/java is the expected (and only) directory where Ice jar files are installed when using RPMs on Linux.

$ICEJ_HOME is not an environment we define or use. It sounds like you need to update your ant build.xml file to detect where Ice is installed, and work when Ice.jar is installed in /usr/share/java.

We do this in the 'common.xml' file included in the demos, however, I am sure you could do simpler.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Thank you Bernard. The pointer to the common.xml file is a big help. I'm also a novice at ant build.xml files and the example of conditional property settings is something I can use.

Is the installation layout on the various platforms documented anywhere?
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Chuck,

I just checked, and no, we do not include a description of the installation layout in our documentation.

Overall, there are 2 layouts:

- Linux RPMs, with binaries installed in various /usr directories (/usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/share/java...) We try to use the default/recommended locations for each file type.

To list the files in an installed RPM, use rpm -ql <rpm>, e.g. rpm -ql ice-java.

- other platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris), with everything installed in the same directory
    for example: /opt/Ice-3.4.2/bin, /opt/Ice-3.4.2/lib, /opt/Ice-3.4.2/include etc.

Best regards,
    Bernard