Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceGrid Admin gui shows State as Destroyed

I'm trying to deploy a service on IceGrid using the IceGridAdmin command line utility. I've done this successfully before using the same xml config file.

I recently had reason to remove the service and redeploy but now, on trying to redeploy it (exactly as the last time, when it worked), it shows as State Destroyed on the IceGrid Admin Gui and has a red cross against the application icon.

Clearly, I must be doing something slightly different which is making it go wrong.

My question is this. Is there any diagnostic or error information I can look at to try and work out why it won't deploy correctly? And what does State Destroyed mean?

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Alan,

Welcome to our forums.

Could you attach a screenshot of this destroyed server (or application)? Also, which version of Ice / IceGridAdmin do you use?

After taking this screenshot, can you try to just restart IceGridAdmin and check if the display remains the same? (In other words, check whether the issue is in IceGridAdmin's display or in the data provided by the IceGrid registry).

Thanks,
    Bernard
  • IceGrid Admin gui shows State as Destroyed

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your reply. You were right! Restarting the Admin Gui tool cleared the error. I guess I should have tried it myself.

In case others ever have the same problem, I have attached a screenshot of the Gui showing the error.

(By the way, I may have attached none or more than one image as you get no feedback that the attachment is included with the message and I tried it several times.)
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Alan,

Looks like no attachment made it. Could you try again?

Here is an example:
    Attachment not found.

Best regards,
    Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Sorry, but I'm having no luck.

When I get to the Manage Attachments screen, I press the "Add Files" button, then I select and upload the (bmp) image.

If I try to press the Insert Inline(0) or Done buttons, it shows me a dialog saying I must drag and drop an existing attachment on to "Drag Files Here" or add a new one by pressing "Add Files". At this point, the only drag and drop that works is from an external, open Windows explorer file onto the Manage Attachment's "2.Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them." area.

Now "Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them" suggests that I need to drag an uploaded file from within the Manage Attachments window, but this is does not work. When I do drag and drop from an external Windows Explorer window, it fills the screen with the screen-shot but the only exit is the Window's close button. And, clearly, that doesn't attach anything either.

Believe me, I've spent quite a while trying this. Either you can spot the silly mistake I'm making or, if you really want to see the screenshot, I can email it to you.

Thanks, Alan
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Alan,

The simplest is to email me this screenshot and then I'll attach it to this thread. Also, please provide the version of Ice you're using.

Thanks,
    Bernard
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Here is the screenshot:

Attachment not found.

(after conversion from .bmp to .png, which also dramatically reduced the size). I could not upload the .bmp file either; that's perhaps because it is > 1MB, although I didn't get an error message ... we'll investigate.

In any case, this screenshot shows that your server is destroyed - which means the server's description is no longer in IceGrid. This should be a very transient state. This sounds like a problem with the IceGrid Admin display. If you see it again (or better, can reproduce it), please turn on tracing in IceGrid Admin, as this would help us figure out the problem. See IceGridAdmin.Trace.Observers.

Thanks,
    Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for looking at that and for the advice regarding the bmp which I will remember for next time.

If I can reproduce the problem in IceGrid Admin gui, I will certainly send you the log output.

Thanks again,
    Alan