Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Visual Studio .NET 2010 + Ice 3.4.1: Add-In failed to load

Hi! I'm running under Windows 7 x64 with VS .NET 2010 ULTIMATE.

This is the Message Box that I get when starting Visual Studio .NET 2010:

Microsoft Visual Studio
The Add-in 'Ice-3.4.1 Visual Studio Extension' failed to load or caused an exception.
Would you like to remove this Add-in?
If you choose yes, the file it was loaded from, 'C:\Users\JMN\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins\Ice-VS2010.AddIn', will be renamed.

Error Message: Invalid index.

Error number: 8002000b
Yes No

I set up a virtual machine with a clean W7 install (this time was the x86 version to delimit more), installed VS .NET 2010 Ultimate and I got the same error message when loading.

I always install Ice after Visual Studio. Tried to repair, but it doesn't fix the thing.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Did you try to reproduce this issue? Under a clean install of both Windows 7 and VS .NET 2010 it fails to load.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Jose,

I use Visual Studio 2010 Premium on Windows 7 x64 and the add-in works fine in this environment; I haven't tried Ultimate yet. Does Ultimate add some add-ins of its own?

Thanks,
    Bernard
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    After removing VS 2010 Premium and Ice 3.4.1, and installing both VS 2010 Ultimate and Ice 3.4.1 on my Windows 7 x64 system ... the add-in still loads fine. And there is no other add-in pre-installed.

Any other clue? E.g. did you install Ice in a non-default location, or do you use a non-English version of VS2010 and/or Windows 7?

Thanks,
    Bernard
  • I've got the same problem.

I use currently:
    -Visual Studio Premium 2010 (default install folder)
    - Windows 7 64 bit
    -Ice 3.4.1 extension (default install folder)

I thought that problem is connected with windows 7. I have check it on windows xp 32 bit and there was the same situation.

Next I checked if errors are provided by productivity power tools and after set up new machine with windows xp and clean vs 2010. There was the same problem.

I checked other machines and I still got the error.

Ma friend has got the same problem with vs 2010 but when he install vs 2008 on the same machine everything was alright and he was able to create sample project.

I've just install vs, next install productivity power tools and ice 3.4.1 visual 2010 extension.

Thanks for the help
  • Same issue with vs 2008

I have windows7 64 bit.

I first installed vs 2010. After another project I installed vs2008
    At this point I downloaded the latest version of ICE Ice-3.4.2.msi

It appeared to install correctly, however starting up vs2008, I received the error as specified at the start of this chain. I tried uninstall / re-install after reboot and such. In summary, I am not able to install ice to my vs2008.

I then opened up vs2010 and found that it had installed correctly there...

Any ideas? Are there any logs generated somewhere or command line parameters to help debug why ice add-in is not installing correctly for my vs2008 installation? Any additional information to help determine what is going on?

Thank you for your time - and the product!
    Cheers,
    Jon
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi

Can you review the contents of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Addins\Ice-VS2008.AddIn this XML file contains Visual Studio 2008 add-in configuration. Verify that Assembly element points to the Add-in dll in <IceHome>\vsaddin\IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2008.dll.

Can you post the complete error messages?

If the configuration file seems correct, and the add-in path is there, the easy way to found what is going on will be to run the add-in in the debugger, and see if there is an exception being raised.

To do that you need to build a debug version of the add-in, see vsaddin/INSTALL.TXT in Ice-3.4.2 source distribution.

Once you have build it, copy the dlls in vsaddin\bin to <IceHome>\vsaddin\bin

Then in Visual Studio add-in project properties, select "Debug" and configure it to run an external program, and set the program to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" or the path where you have Visual Studio 2008 installed.

In Debug menu configure to break on exception and run the project, and see what comes up.
  • The following is the error I receive - I looked over it a few times to ensure every character was correct - note the double slash before 'Addins\Ice-VS2008...

The Add-in 'Ice-3.4.2 Visual Studio Add-in' failed to load or caused an exception
    Would you like to remove this Add-in?
    If you choose yes, the file it was loaded from,
    'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\\Addins\Ice-VS2008.AddIn', will be renamed

Error Message: Unspecified error

Error number: 80004005

I will try as you suggested building / running locally to debug -
    thanks for the detailed directions
  • the AddIn xml is as follows:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <Extensibility xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AutomationExtensibility"&gt;
    <HostApplication>
    <Name>Microsoft Visual Studio</Name>
    <Version>9.0</Version>
    </HostApplication>
    <Addin>
    <FriendlyName>Ice-3.4.2 Visual Studio Add-in</FriendlyName>
    <Description>Ice-3.4.2 Visual Studio Add-in for Visual Studio 2008</Description>
    <AboutBoxDetails>The Ice Visual Studio Add-in integrates Ice projects into the Visual Studio IDE.
    The add-in supports C++, .NET, and Silverlight projects.
    To know more about Ice visit ZeroC website at http://www.zeroc.com</AboutBoxDetails&gt;
    <AboutIconData>......blah.....
    </AboutIconData>
    <Assembly>@installdir@\vsaddin\IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2008.dll</Assembly>
    <FullClassName>Ice.VisualStudio.Connect</FullClassName>
    <LoadBehavior>0</LoadBehavior>
    <CommandPreload>1</CommandPreload>
    <CommandLineSafe>1</CommandLineSafe>
    </Addin>
    </Extensibility>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I found the file located:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ZeroC\Ice-3.4.2\vsaddin\IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2008.dll

(only instance of IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2008.dll found on the pc)

let me know if you see anything screwy with the above.
    Thanks!
  • I tried debugging and was unsuccessful.
    I was not able to use the make file, recieved -

.\config\Make.rules.mak(74) : fatal error U1050: Neither VSSDK100INSTALL not VSSDK90INSTALL is set, seems that Visual Studio SDK isn't properly installed
    Stop.

I was able to build through visual studio.

After setting up to debug through external application, the second dev opens up and the exception window pops up, but the debugger never breaks. I've settup all exceptions to throw.

Could this be perhaps because I only have the minimal VS items installed -
    I'm using Visual Studio Team System 2008
    with only the two installed components
    Language Tools - > Visual C#
    Team System Developer Tools
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    .\config\Make.rules.mak(74) : fatal error U1050: Neither VSSDK100INSTALL not VSSDK90INSTALL is set, seems that Visual Studio SDK isn't properly installed
    Stop.

You need to install the SDK to build the add-in, see INSTALL file
    <Assembly>@installdir@\vsaddin\IceVisualStudioAddi n-VS2008.dll</Assembly>

This should contain the full path not @installdir@, the installer has failed to replace that for some reason, i think this is a bug in our installer "Repair" command.
    Could this be perhaps because I only have the minimal VS items installed -
    I'm using Visual Studio Team System 2008
    with only the two installed components
    Language Tools - > Visual C#
    Team System Developer Tools
    The add-in references components from C++ and C# projet types, so try to install C++ language, and then do a clean install of Ice-3.4.2.