Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

assert false when quiting

Recently, I had a trouble when using Ice3.4.2. Sometimes, an Ice assert is raised in ConnectionI.h #245 when my application is quiting.
It happens occasionally, so it puzzles me very much. By the way, only timeout proxy has the problem.

I have tried to analyze this problem by reviewing the source code of Ice3.4.2. And I guess that it is a bug in Ice3.4.2.
In ConnectionI::dispatch(ConnectionI.h #1442), the following code is added in Ice3.4.2.

//
// Decrease dispatch count.

//
if(!sentCBs.empty() || outAsync)

{

IceUtil::Monitor<IceUtil::Mutex>::Lock sync(*this);

if(--_dispatchCount == 0)

{

if(_state == StateClosing)

{

try

{

initiateShutdown();

}

catch(const LocalException& ex)

{

setState(StateClosed, ex);

}

}

else if(_state == StateFinished)

{

_reaper->add(this);

}

notifyAll();

}

}

Ice Assert is raised in initiateShutdown function. When a SocketOperationRead is retrieved from IOCP, first,
_readTimeout timer task is removed from the Timer through unscheduleTimeout(current.operation).
however _writeTimeout timer task still remains in it. Meanwhile, the application is quiting,
initiateShutdown is called and the program is trying to push _writeTimeout timer task into the Timer again,

bool inserted = _tasks.insert(make_pair(task, time)).second;

if(!inserted)

{

throw IllegalArgumentException(__FILE__, __LINE__, "task is already schedulded");

}

so the failure of the insert triggers an exception and then an assert is fired.

I have tried some ways to resolve it but no help, so how can I avoid this problem? and is it a bug in Ice3.4.2?

Thanks.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Thanks for the bug report! We have already fixed this bug on our mainline, the fix will be included in the next Ice release.

Cheers,
    Benoit.