Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Starting IceStorm

Hello,

I'm trying to start the IceStorm service and I keep getting this error:

!! 01/10/12 21:38:03.981 icebox: error: ServiceManager: exception while starting service IceStorm:
FileUtil.cpp:461: IceUtil::FileLockedException:
could not lock file: `IceStorm/__Freeze/lock'

I understand that it's a lock for the DB used by IceStorm to maintain its state. I searched around but I'm unable to find a similar case.

Regards,
Michael

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi Michael

Seems to me that the problem is that the IceStorm Freeze database directory does not exists, or the user has not permission to read/write it. When IceStorm try to create the lock file it report the problem. Note that if you are using relative paths that is relative to the directory from where you start IceStorm.

I can easy reproduce that behavior by starting IceStorm with a non existent database directory.
    clock $ /opt/Ice-3.4.2/bin/icebox --Ice.Config=config.icebox
    !! 01/11/12 21:53:26.272 /opt/Ice-3.4.2/bin/icebox: error: ServiceManager: exception while starting service IceStorm:
       FileUtil.cpp:461: IceUtil::FileLockedException:
       could not lock file: `db/__Freeze/lock'
       syscall exception: No such file or directory

If i create the database directory everything works as expected
  • Hi,

I already solved the problem. The missing db directory was a trivial thing, but I just started with ICE.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do have one more question, is it possible that a subscriber be also a publisher to another entity in the same application.

Regards,
    Michael
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    I do have one more question, is it possible that a subscriber be also a publisher to another entity in the same application.

Yes that is possible. It is common if you have multiple entities of your application communicating with each other via IceStorm instead of communicating directly.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Michael