Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Possible to obtain proxy to IceGrid server's FileReader interface?

I'm familiar with being able to get a FileIterator proxy to read a server's stdout and stderr.

However, I'd like to be able to access the underlying FileReader proxy, so that I can access the file offset.

Is this possible? Example code would be welcome, if so.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Philip,

It's not possible to get a hold on this proxy, the file reader interface is an interface used by the IceGrid registry to read the server log files, it's not intended to be used by administrative clients directly.

If you describe more precisely what you need, we can add your request enhancement to our TODO list.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Enhancement suggestion

The application is a Web-based monitoring tool that periodically polls for updates in the log output of IceGrid-managed servers.

It simplifies the web implementation side if the browser instance can maintain the byte offset of the last logfile tail position, and pass that to the http server, which then gets a FileReader proxy, reads the new logfile content between the old tail offset and the new one, passing the content update back to the browser.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Can't the HTTP server keep around the FileIterator proxy for the web client and call read() on the iterator each time the web client polls for new data in the log file? This way you don't have to bother with file offsets, the web client simply calls on the web server to check if there's new content and the web server uses the file iterator read method to read the new content.

Cheers,
    Benoit.