Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Deploy application and config to a node via admin tool or other means

For my development and testing environment and also for testing deployment over a grid i have started an ICE Grid instance up on one of my servers. The grid is based on the config.grid config from Ice-3.4.2-demos\democs\IceGrid\icebox.

Now if i have understood all the doco i have been reading i should be able to deploy the application.xml and related application DLL either via the ICEGrid GUI or via command line but for the life of me i can't get it to work. It will deploy the application.xml for me but never sends the dll so the service can never be started.

What i am hoping to do is to learn how to do this via the GUI for production deploys and also automate the deploys for dev and test as part of the build process. I am probably missing something like configuring a patch2server or something but i am finding the documentation on the grid and the setup etc quite confusing. Building apps and that the doco seems great but getting my head around Grid setup etc has been more of a challenge.

regards

Chris

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Chris,

I'd re-commend to try this in 2 steps:
    • Manually copy the binaries on the different nodes instead of relying on IceGrid to transfer them and deploy your application descriptor (either using the IceGrid GUI or the admin command line tool). Ensure that the client and server are working.
    • Setup an IcePatch2 server to serve the different files that will be required by your deployment and test it using the icepatch2client. This IcePatch2 server could be initially deployed "manually" (you start it form the command line) and later deployed using IceGrid.

Once both points are working you can try to integrate the patching with the deployment. IceGrid nodes act as IcePatch2 client here, they will download files provided by an IcePatch2 server. It is true that this isn't very well documented, we're missing a demo for instance. We'll see if we can add this for the next release.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • benoit wrote: »
    • Manually copy the binaries on the different nodes instead of relying on IceGrid to transfer them and deploy your application descriptor (either using the IceGrid GUI or the admin command line tool). Ensure that the client and server are working.
    Done this already and it is working. As to using the patching to deploy other files for the application i don't really have any as at the min it is only the dll for the application that i need to deploy but i will add some other content to my project for testing.