Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

WinRT?

kwaclaw
kwaclaw Oshawa, Canada
Just curious,

are there any plans to support WinRT in the future?

Regards,

Karl

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Karl,

We don't have yet any definitive plans for WinRT / Metro apps support.

Do you have a specific use-case in mind? Would you prefer to develop with C++/CX, C# or another programming language?

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • kwaclaw
    kwaclaw Oshawa, Canada
    bernard wrote: »
    Hi Karl,

We don't have yet any definitive plans for WinRT / Metro apps support.

Do you have a specific use-case in mind? Would you prefer to develop with C++/CX, C# or another programming language?

Best regards,
    Bernard

Hi Bernard,

We are investigating the use of part our application (for home health care services) on mobile platforms, preferably tablets. We are a Microsoft shop and currently we are using Silverlight with WCF. For mobile we are mainly evaluating HTML5/CSS/Jqavascript vs Metro/WinRT.

On mobile devices the efficiencly of ICE might be an advantage.
    Though I have never before been successful in convincing any of my bosses that ICE is the way to go, I still keep trying...

Regards,

Karl
  • In the context of a new startup, we could use too an "ICE for WinRT". We would probably use it in C# ourselves.
  • kwaclaw
    kwaclaw Oshawa, Canada
    JMDeruty wrote: »
    In the context of a new startup, we could use too an "ICE for WinRT". We would probably use it in C# ourselves.

From an implementation point of view it might be as simple as exposing a COM layer on top of Ice for C++ (as a so-called Windows Runtime Component). That way ICE for WinRT could be used even from Javascript.

I would understand if ZeroC held off on investing in WinRT. IMO Microsoft made a step backwards by focussing on COM technology again. Maybe it will be Microsoft's downfall.

Karl
  • I didn't thought about it, but it's true that a WinMD ICE implementation could be available to .NET & js winRT application...

But as Ice uses quite a lot code generation, it wouldn't reduce the need to have language specific winRT slice compilers.

Furthermore, I would expect an ICE for WinRT to fully support the async model of this Platform.
  • kwaclaw
    kwaclaw Oshawa, Canada
    But as Ice uses quite a lot code generation, it wouldn't reduce the need to have language specific winRT slice compilers.

Well, if the code generator also generated a WinRT component, the resulting API would be automatically projected into the various target languages.
    Furthermore, I would expect an ICE for WinRT to fully support the async model of this Platform.

I agree.

Karl
  • Yes, it would be possible, the idea is good but:

1) It would complicate the inclusion of ice into the project, as the slice compilation wouldn't generate code files, but another project. It's however true that putting the layer in another project isn't a bad thing.
    2) The DTO are created from the slice file. Therefore, they would be WinMD components too. I am yet not sure of all the implications of this choice.