Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Dotnet MVC3 and ICE

Hi,
I am hoping someone can tell me the recommend or suggest a good way it make a dotnet MVC3 website use an ICE client and the controllers data source.

What i am mostly interested in is minimal overhead per callback/call to ICE servers as well as how to best integrate ICE client initialization, start-up and shut-down with the web application. All the dotnet sample applications seem to extend "Ice.Application" and i don't think that will be possible from MVC3 plus it would be reinitialising ICE all the time due to objects been reinstanciated on the callbacks etc,

If no one know i guess i will work it out my self but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction at least. It would also be great to see some sample added in the future for dotnet web applications/MVC applications connecting to ICE.

Comments

• At the minute i am using the minimal ice client example and creating a static communicator for the web app then creating proxies as needed for each request. is that the best thing to do?
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

I'm not very familiar with ASP.NET MVC but assuming it works like Java servlets, the best is to create one communicator when the ASP.NET application is started and use this communicator for the lifetime of the ASP.NET application.

For each incoming web request, you can either create new proxies using this communicator or re-use existing proxies, you decide which is the most practical for your application. Creating proxies is not very expensive as it doesn't necessarily require to establish a new TCP/IP connection. Most of the time the proxy will just re-use an existing connection available in the connection pool of the Ice communicator.

If you want more details on how the Ice communicator manages connections, check out the Connection Management chapter in the manual.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Thanks it seems like i am going down the correct track then.