Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

How to pass time value cross platform?

Hi, everybody
I'm trying passing time value using ICE. However, the presentations of time are different in different platform. For example, the DateTime type in C# records the ticks from 0001/01/01/00:00:00.0000000; the IceUtil::time records the ticks from 00:00:00 UTC on 1 Jan. 1970.
I plan to use a long type in Slice to representate the ticks of a time value. But, How can I unify the different standards?

Another question is, how to set an absolute time value in a IceUtil::time object, instead using static function now()?

Thank you!

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Using a long with milliseconds Since 1 Jan 1970 seems right approach if you don't need to represent dates before this.

You will need some helper functions to handle dates in different languages, in C++ you can use IceUtil::Time.

in C# you can use something like:
    public static double localDateTimeToTimestamp(DateTime date)
    {
        return (double)(date - new DateTime(1970, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, DateTimeKind.Utc).ToLocalTime()).TotalMilliseconds;
    }

public static DateTime timestampToLocalDateTime(double mseconds)
    {
        DateTime date = new System.DateTime(1970, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, DateTimeKind.Utc);
        date = date.AddMilliseconds(mseconds);
        return date.ToLocalTime();
    }

To set and absolute time use the static methods in IceUtil::Time
    IceUtil::Time oneMinute = IceUtil::Time::seconds(60);

See The C++ Time Class - Ice 3.4 - ZeroC
  • Thanks for your valuable advices!
    There is another question about IceUtil::time. Can I initialize a IceUtil::time object with a date?
    And, if I want to represent dates before 1970, can I use a long with milliseconds Since 1 Jan 0001? How to translate it to a IceUtil::time object?
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    There is another question about IceUtil::time. Can I initialize a IceUtil::time object with a date?
    There isn't, you need to use one of the static methods that takes seconds ,miliSeconds or microSeconds since 1970-1-1 UTC
    And, if I want to represent dates before 1970, can I use a long with milliseconds Since 1 Jan 0001? How to translate it to a IceUtil::time object?
    You can use negative values, the functions localDateTimeToTimestamp, timestampToLocalDateTime should already handle negative values without problems.
    IceUtil::Time t = IceUtil::Time::seconds(-(24 * 3600 * 365)); // One year before 

• I think this problem could be solved now. Thank you!