Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Slice checksums per method possible?

simon
simon Netherlands
Hi,

my co-workers and I have been debating versioning in our slice definitions. After reading various motivational articles by Michi Henning and the docs on "Facets and Versioning", we came to the following conclusion: For our particular setup, we won't need facets. We will only add methods to interfaces and allow our partners to migrate their code. When they're all done, we remove the deprecated methods.

However, we also currently use Slice checksum verification. It came to our attention that the checksum operate on an interface and type basis. They are not generated per method. If we want to add methods to interfaces, the Slice checksums will differ, but since the existing methods are not modified in any way, the client could still use the (outdated) Slice definitions.

So my question is: Is it possible to verify only the methods the client uses with their definition on the server? This way we could check that the method definitions haven't changed, but still add new methods without breaking slice checksum verification...

Looking forward to your answer. Thanks in advance for your time and effort. Kind regards,
Simon de Hartog

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

I'm afraid it's currently not possible to only verify checksums on a method basis.

Cheers,
    Benoit.