Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

slice2cpp questoin

Hi All

I am developing an IceStorm C++ project in window 7 using eclipse CDT and MinGW g++ compiler. It will be ported to Linux and Mac.

Question is if I use Slice2cpp in windows to create its .cpp and .h files from slice file, can those .cpp and .h files be used in Linux and Mac or they are OS specific ?

Thanks

Chang

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Chang,

The C++ code generated by slice2cpp is the same on all platforms. You can in particular translate your Slice files on Windows and then build the resulting C++ code on Linux and Mac.
    I am developing an IceStorm C++ project in window 7 using eclipse CDT and MinGW g++ compiler

(Unrelated to your question). On Windows, we support only Visual Studio 2008 and 2010, and not MinGW. If at all possible, you should use Visual Studio; otherwise, you could try to port Ice for C++ to MinGW.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • slice2cpp questoin

Thanks Bernard.

That means Ice now do not have dlls for MinGW. I need to build them using MingW compile tools g++ and use them, right?
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Chang,

We do not support MinGW, so building Ice for C++ with MinGW is not straightforward. You may want to read this earlier discussion: http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/985-does-ice-support-mingw-2.html

If it at all possible, I recommend using Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 as your C++ compiler on Windows.

Best regards,
    Bernard