Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Python 2.7 support?

Hi all

I plan to use ice 3.4.1 with python 2.7 on both windows and ubuntu. Did anyone use python 2.7 & ice before? I notice the official release supports 2.6 only.

thanks.

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

Since our binary distributions are compiled against Python 2.6, they will not be compatible with Python 2.7. However, you shouldn't have any problems using Python 2.7 if you compile Ice from source. In fact, I just compiled the Python extension from Ice 3.4.2 against Python 2.7 on Windows with Visual Studio 2008SP1 and our Python test suite ran successfully.

Regards,
    Mark
  • Update the release version?

Mark you mention you have Ice working with Python 2.7. Why not build the new release and make it available for download? I am also using Python 2.7 and it crashes while importing the Ice module. Currently i do not have the option of building from source.

Best
    Sandeep
  • Problems with python 2.7

Hi,
    I have windows 7, vs10, i tried to compile ice 3.4.2 with python 2.7 from source. But i get errors while importing ice in python, also got a few errors running alltests.py.

I cannot switch to python 2.6, is there any chance that you will provide the next version of ice which works with python 2.7 soon? Thanks
    AD
    mes wrote: »
    Hi,

Since our binary distributions are compiled against Python 2.6, they will not be compatible with Python 2.7. However, you shouldn't have any problems using Python 2.7 if you compile Ice from source. In fact, I just compiled the Python extension from Ice 3.4.2 against Python 2.7 on Windows with Visual Studio 2008SP1 and our Python test suite ran successfully.

Regards,
    Mark
  • mes
    mes California
    What errors are you getting when importing?

Mark