Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

using IceTouch in ARC project

I would like to use IceTouch in an ARC project. I understand that ARC support may be on it's way as per this thread:

http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/5631-ios-arc-automatic-reference-counting-support.html

Meanwhile, i was experimenting with some options to get this working right now, with IceTouch not supporting ARC yet.

One of the (rather ugly) work arounds i have found is to set your project to NOT use ARC, and then manually adding the -fobjc-arc to all your files. This essentially turn ARC back on for your project, but will compile the slice2objc generated .m files without ARC.

Now, what would be really nice if we could find a way to do the same, but the other way around. Have ARC turned on for your project, so all files get compiled with -fobjc-arc, but only the slice2objc generated .m's will get the -fno-objc-arc.

I tried to create a custom build rule to accomplish this but that didn't work.

I also tried to take a look at the slice2objc xcodeplugin source, but couldn't really figure our where i would add the -fno-objc-arc.

So long story short, if someone more familiar with Xcode and/or the xcodeplugin could comment on how to accomplish this, this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
-r

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi

The next Ice Touch release should support ARC. We didn't plan yet when this Ice Touch version will be released however. It might be possible to modify the Xcode plugin to add per-file compiler flags on the generated files however I couldn't find how to do this, unfortunately Apple doesn't document the Xcode plugin API :(.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Does IceTouch 1.2.2 support ARC?
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

ARC isn't supported with Ice Touch 1.2.2. The 1.2.2 release just adds support for iOS 6 and the latest Xcode.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Can you give and estimate when ARC will be supported in IceTouch?

Thanks,
    -r
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Rene,

A new Ice Touch release with ARC support is not imminent.

If you are working on a commercial project and ARC support is critical for this project, please contact sales@zeroc.com.

Best regards,
    Bernard