Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Is IceGrid the right thing for me?

I am looking into Ice and IceGrid for a project at work. The system I am developing will be used to run jobs across a grid of machines. Each machine may have slightly different configuration and I only want machines that have the correct configuration to run the jobs that require certain things.

From looking through the documentation, I am not sure if IceGrid would fit the bill for what I want to do in that respect (restrict running jobs if some configuration matches or not), but I didn't dig into the documentation very deep. Is this something I could do with IceGrid? Are there examples of doing something like this?

Thanks!

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Ice is a general purpose middleware, it will make it easy for your servers an clients to communicate. IceGrid will allow to easily deploy and run servers on a large number of hosts.

IceGrid doesn't really provide any facilities to restrict clients from using a set of servers based on some host configuration criteria. However, this is something you could easily implement by providing a lookup service for your clients (this lookup service would be implemented with Ice).

I recommend checking out the Ice demos to get a better idea on the features offered by Ice and let us know if you need more information!

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Benoit,

Thanks for the reply, I'll go through all the demos and see if I can answer my questions in more depth.

slide