Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

problems with ice windoZe and python

WindoZe 7

Python 2.7 64 bit

Installed ice etc all

Set the environment variables up for 64 bit python.

Tried hello world in python but it reported it couldn't find ice.

Tried the usual things, set environment variables to 32 bit, logged in and out of computer, removed ice and reinstall etc.

Seemed a straight forward process but I must be missing something simple.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Ice for Python should work fine on Windows when using the Python 3.3.0 distribution from python.org. The environment variables settings are described here: Using the Windows Binary Distribution.

Note that the settings depend on your Python installation, not on the platform architecture. For instance, you should use the 32bits Ice if you installed the 32 bits Python on Windows x86_64.

Could you copy/paste the error you're getting if you still can't get it to work?

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • To bad
    benoit wrote: »
    Hi,

Ice for Python should work fine on Windows when using the Python 3.3.0 distribution from python.org. The environment variables settings are described here: Using the Windows Binary Distribution.

Note that the settings depend on your Python installation, not on the platform architecture. For instance, you should use the 32bits Ice if you installed the 32 bits Python on Windows x86_64.

Could you copy/paste the error you're getting if you still can't get it to work?

Cheers,
    Benoit.

Yeah, I understood all of that. I guess the problem is I am trying to trade off various packages, 64 bit vs 32 bit, windoZe versus linux.

So, to get most bang for buck I have settled on python 2.7 so I won't be inclined to play with ZeroC after all as I have too much investment libraries running on 2.7 and not 3.x.

I was trading ZeroC off against ZeroMQ and I guess I'll go with ZeroMQ.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Asterion,

Ice 3.5.0 supports Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3. See ZeroC - Supported Platforms for Ice 3.5.0

However, the Ice binary distribution for Windows was built with Python 3.3.0 and supports only this version. See ZeroC - Download

If you can only use Python 2.7, you could build Ice for Python yourself on Windows, with Python 2.7.

The full source code and build instructions are available on our download page: ZeroC - Download.

You should use the same C++ compiler as the C++ compiler used to build your Python 2.7 distribution.

Best regards,
    Bernard