Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceStormService connection failed

Hi,

I'm running an IceStorm in an IceBox as Windows Service, which is configured for automatic start.
When I try to connect to the IceStorm after Windows login, the Connection failed, until I restart the Service manually. The Firewall is activ, but the IceBox Service is allowed to pass for Domain Access.
The Windows Event log gives the following message:
ServiceManager: Network.cpp:1104: Ice::SocketException:
socket exception: WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL

When I shutdown the Firewall, the Connection can be established directly.

My config Looks as follow (IP get from DHCP, but fix):

Ice.Trace.Network=2

Ice.ThreadPool.Server.Size = 20
Ice.ThreadPool.Server.SizeWarn = 15
Ice.ThreadPool.Client.Size = 5
Ice.ThreadPool.Client.SizeWarn = 3

IceBox.ServiceManager.Endpoints = tcp -h 134.94.XXX.YYY -p 11111
IceBox.Service.IceStorm = IceStormService,34:createIceStorm --Ice.Config="C:\config\germdetect.config"

IceStorm.InstanceName = IceStorm
IceStorm.Directory = C:/config/IceStorm
IceStorm.Transient = 1
IceStorm.TopicManager.Endpoints = tcp -h 134.94.XXX.YYY -p 11112
IceStorm.TopicManager.Proxy = IceStorm/TopicManager:tcp -h 134.94.XXX.YYY -p 11112
IceStorm.Publish.Endpoints = tcp -h 134.94.XXX.YYY -p 11113

Is there a Service dependency (dhcp or something) I must set to the icebox or is there a bug in my configuration.

Best regards,
Andreas

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

It does indeed look like your service is starting too soon, possibly before the DHCP address for you machine gets assigned. It's not clear to me why the Windows firewall makes a difference here however.

Did you try to add a service dependency on the Dhcp service to delay the start of the IceBox service after the Dhcp service gets started? You could also try adding a dependency on the Windows Firewall service ("MpsSvc").

You can edit the dependencies of a service using regedit and the "DependOnService" key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Service name>. You could add the "Dhcp" service as a dependency (see How to delay loading of specific services for information on how to add a dependency using regedit). Add "MpsSvc" to add a dependency on the Windows firewall.

Btw, which Windows and Ice version do you use?

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hi,

I use Win7 x64 and Ice3.4.2. Asking for the Ice version was a good tip. I've tested it on another Computer with Ice 3.5 and it works. After deinstall the Service on the origin host and installing the 3.5 Version it works without dependencies, too.
    I will have a look on it over the next days.

But still interesting behaviour.

Best regards,
    Andreas