Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

VS Plugin Errors

In certain situations I receive repetitive Windows Dialog Errors that are sourced from the Ice Visual Studio Plugin. I can see a stack trace for this error and I've attached an image here. The particular situation that I'm seeing is that I have a VS 2012 solution open with a single InstallShield Express project. Whenever I interact with the InstallShield package project I receive these errors.

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi

What Ice version are you using?
  • Ice 3.5.1 and Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi,

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, the attached Zip file contains a PDB for Ice Visual Studio 2012 Add-in, can you extract this file into the add-in installation directory, "C:\Program Files\ZeroC\Ice-3.5.1\vsaddin". One you have extracted the PDB in the addin directory the stack trace will contain line number, this will help track the issue.

Attachment not found.
  • I get "matching symbol file was not found in this folder" when I try and load up that PDB.

C:\Program Files (x86)\ZeroC\Ice-3.5.1\vsaddin\IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2012.pdb: PDB does not match image.

Here is a partial copy of the stack:
    > IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2012.dll!Ice.VisualStudio.Builder.documentOpened(EnvDTE.Document document)
    EnvDTE.dll!EnvDTE._dispDocumentEvents_SinkHelper.DocumentOpened(EnvDTE.Document A_1)
    [Native to Managed Transition]
    [Native to Managed Transition]
    [Managed to Native Transition]
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.Rdt.NotifyOnBeforeShow(uint cookie, bool firstShow, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame frame)
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.NotifyFrameShowing(uint cookie, bool firstShow)
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowInternal(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowFlags showFlags = Activate)
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.Show.AnonymousMethod__26()
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.11.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.ErrorHandler.CallWithCOMConvention(System.Func<int> method, bool reportError = false, bool setShellErrorInfo = true)
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.Show()
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.MarshalingWindowFrame.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame.Show.AnonymousMethod__86()
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.11.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.ThreadHelper.Invoke<int>(System.Func<int> method)
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.MarshalingWindowFrame.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame.Show()
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi,

Seems the symbol doesn't match because you aren't using the last update, anyway i have attached a zip file with a patched VS add-in and the matching PDB, can you test with these.

The DLL contains a fix for the documentOpened event handler show in the second stack trace, but the first stack trace seems like a different error.
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi Rick,

Have you tested the add-in DLL update? did the update solve the problem?
  • Sorry for the delay-

Yes, this seems to have resolved the issue. Thank you for sending over the patch.

Rick
    xdm wrote: »
    Hi Rick,

Have you tested the add-in DLL update? did the update solve the problem?