Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice.GC.Interval Not working as expected.

Hi,

I am currently using Ice Runtime 3.2.1 and I am experiencing the following issue.

There is a cyclic dependency that has been introduced in the current Ice Objects causing a Memory leak.
Classes are written in C++.

If I make a call to Ice::collectGarbage() I can see the memory footprint going down.
This implies that the Garbage Collector is doing its work perfectly well as expected.

Ideally I don't want to be calling Ice::collectGarbage() within the code.
The document recommend using Ice.GC.Interval property.

I have set-up this property Ice.GC.Interval=5 in the Ice Property File and this seems not to cause the Garbage Collector to be run.
I have also tried to set the Property by code props->setProperty("Ice.GC.Interval", "5") without any success.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Note that the only setting for Ice.GC.Interval that has any effect is in the very first communicator that a program initializes. You won't need to worry about this if you're only initializing one communicator.

Have you tried setting Ice.Trace.GC=1 to see if any log messages are generated?

Regards,
    Mark
  • Hi Mes,

Thanks for your reply.

I have now found the root cause of the problem, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

The issue is that our system contains several communicator and I was focusing on the last communicator that was created in our system.

Once I ensure that the first communicator get initialized with the proper property Ice.GC.Interval=5 it works perfectly well.

Many thanks for your help.