Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice 3.5.1 and Python 2.7: no module named IcePy

Hi,
I'm having problems getting Ice imported to python. I am running on Windows Server 2012, Python 2.7, Ice 3.5.1. I read the readme and set my environment variables accordingly, but this is the error message that I get:
C:\Users\Administrator>echo %PATH%
C:\ZeroC\Ice-3.5.1\bin\x64;C:\Python27\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Window
s\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Ama
zon\cfn-bootstrap\

C:\Users\Administrator>echo %PYTHONPATH%
C:\ZeroC\Ice-3.5.1\python\x64

C:\Users\Administrator>python
Python 2.7.9 (default, Dec 10 2014, 12:28:03) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import Ice
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\ZeroC\Ice-3.5.1\python\x64\Ice.py", line 47, in <module>
ImportError: No module named IcePy

I see that this is a common error, but I am out of ideas on how to fix this on my own. If anyone could offer insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding upgrading to either Python 3 or Ice 3.6b: Unfortunately, the Python script that I hope to use with Ice is not updated for Python 3 so that is not an option for me. For this reason, I also did not attempt to use Ice 3.6b since the release page indicates that Ice 3.6b is only available for Python 3.

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

Our Windows binary distribution for Ice 3.5.1 includes a module for Python 3.3. (The requirements are listed on the download page.) This module is not compatible with Python 2.7.

However, the Ice source code is still compatible with Python 2.7, it just requires that you build the module yourself. This assumes you have the correct version of Visual C++ (VC9, aka Visual Studio 2008). Let us know if you need help getting started with that.

Regards,
    Mark
  • mes wrote: »
    Hi,

However, the Ice source code is still compatible with Python 2.7, it just requires that you build the module yourself. This assumes you have the correct version of Visual C++ (VC9, aka Visual Studio 2008). Let us know if you need help getting started with that.

Regards,
    Mark

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a VC9 compiler, so I don't think I will be able to compile the source code myself. Is this the only way to get a current (3.5.1 or 3.6b) version of ICE working with Python 2.7?