Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Trouble running javascript demos in browser....

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the ice javascript demos as a means of finally learning javascript :-)

I've run the node based client/server examples and can get the node hello client chatting to a python or C++ hello server, that's all fine. What I'm interested in playing with though is browser client to Python/C++/Java servers.

So I guess two points. Looking at the code am I right in saying if I don't want to use websockets I'm not obliged to? it looks like the node hello client is doing pretty 'vanilla' ice code, so I'm a little confused about why websockets and glacier are being mentioned in the documentation. Could someone clarify?

Second I'm just trying to get a hello client running in the browser. I have a python hello server running, And (here's maybe what I'm doign wrong), I'm just naively opening up the index.html in the demos folder. It's failing when I try to run the demo ... here's screenshot of my javascript console. Having trouble finding ice by the looks of it.

It's probably something very stupid but I'm a js newbie. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

A.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Ahh.... getting there. Didn't read the docs properly! Doh. I hadn't done the gulp:build step :-)

Cheers,

A.

smandy wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm trying to use the ice javascript demos as a means of finally learning javascript :-)

I've run the node based client/server examples and can get the node hello client chatting to a python or C++ hello server, that's all fine. What I'm interested in playing with though is browser client to Python/C++/Java servers.

So I guess two points. Looking at the code am I right in saying if I don't want to use websockets I'm not obliged to? it looks like the node hello client is doing pretty 'vanilla' ice code, so I'm a little confused about why websockets and glacier are being mentioned in the documentation. Could someone clarify?

Second I'm just trying to get a hello client running in the browser. I have a python hello server running, And (here's maybe what I'm doign wrong), I'm just naively opening up the index.html in the demos folder. It's failing when I try to run the demo ... here's screenshot of my javascript console. Having trouble finding ice by the looks of it.

It's probably something very stupid but I'm a js newbie. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

A.

Attachment not found.
  • So have all demos running now. Very cool!

So just have one question remaining. Will the javascript mapping only support websockets going forward. i.e. for any service that needs to support javascript client will it be a requirement to open up a websocket adapter?

Don't see that as a problem if websockets is now supported by all the language mappings, just want to understand what the situation is...

Also attempting to answer my previous question - was Glacier being mentioned solely because in the early days websockets were only implemented on the C++ side? but now all language mappings are supported, glacier isn't required for simple communication that doesn't require a router?

Cheers,

A.
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Hi,

JavaScript in the browser only support WebSocket communication, because that is what is provided by modern browser, you cannot use raw TCP sockets with JavaScript.
  • Ah I didn't realise that. Okay that makes perfect sense. Thanks for quick response!

Cheers,

A.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,
    smandy wrote: »
    So have all demos running now. Very cool!
    Also attempting to answer my previous question - was Glacier being mentioned solely because in the early days websockets were only implemented on the C++ side? but now all language mappings are supported, glacier isn't required for simple communication that doesn't require a router?

That's right Glacier2 isn't required anymore to talk to a Java or C# server since we now support the WebSocket transport for these language mappings.

However if you have multiple services running, with or without different language mappings, the use of Glacier2 might still be a good idea if you need to secure or limit the access to these backend services. Through its session mechanism, Glacier2 also allows managing "backend" resources allocated for the client and the session can provide a simple view to the services available on the backend (the facade design pattern).

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • benoit wrote: »
    Hi,

That's right Glacier2 isn't required anymore to talk to a Java or C# server since we now support the WebSocket transport for these language mappings.

However if you have multiple services running, with or without different language mappings, the use of Glacier2 might still be a good idea if you need to secure or limit the access to these backend services. Through its session mechanism, Glacier2 also allows managing "backend" resources allocated for the client and the session can provide a simple view to the services available on the backend (the facade design pattern).

Cheers,
    Benoit.

Got it ... thanks!

A.