Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

About the well-known object name definition's position.

Hi, I come again for a little question:
In IceGrid environment, I wrote a interface in slice, the interface will compile to the client and server code, and i config the object as a well-known object in the deploy xml.

So next:
Client developer will call stringtoproxy(objName) to get obj proxy.
And server developer should call adapter's method: addObject(objName, objPtr).

I think objName is must same one in client and server.

So I define the objname in the slice like this:

module Test
{
const string ObjectTestName = "Test";
interface ITest
{
void doTest();
}
}

client code:
ic->stringToProxy(Test::ObjectTestName);

server code:
adapter->addObject(Test::ObjectTestName, new CObjectTest());

Code above can resolve part of my question, But if there is multple interface in the module Test, const string var can't match interface define accurately.
I think there is another more good solution?

Comments

• Any advise?
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi MingYi,

It makes sense to define or of a few root objects in your applications, give these objects simple memorable names. And with IceGrid, you can register these objects as well-known objects.

I would not define Slice constants for these object names or identities: Slice is about defining contracts between clients and servers, and not about sharing this type of information.

Since there are just one or a few of these objects, my recommendation is to copy these names in your server and client configurations. In the client, it would be something like:
    # Client config

Root.Proxy=Test

Your client code would then use communicator->propertyToProxy("Root.Proxy") to create this proxy.

On the server side, you can generate a property in your configuration through the property attribute of the well-known object descriptor. This property's value is the stringified identity of your well-known object.

You could then write:
    Ice::Identity rootId;
    rootId.name = communicator->getProperties()->getProperty("Root.Identity");  // Root.Identity is the property attribute of the well-known object

adapter->addObject(rootId, new CObjectTest());

Hope this is clearer now!

Best regards,
    Bernard