Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IcePatch2 within IceGrid doesn't fails to start

Hello guys,

I've bumped into a problem, to which I can't seem to find a workaround.

The error is the following:
-- 06/03/16 07:56:59.680 icegridnode: Activator: activating server `IceGrid-Dev.IcePatch2' icepatch2server: error: createProperties failed: PropertiesI.cpp:404: Ice::FileException: file exception: No such file or directory path: /Users/username/Afolder -- 06/03/16 07:56:59.689 icegridnode: Activator: detected termination of server `IceGrid-Dev.IcePatch2' exit code = 1

The IcePatch2 server template is pretty standard I only added Trace and stderr and stdout:

<server-template id="IcePatch2">
            <parameter name="instance-name" default="${application}.IcePatch2"/>
            <parameter name="endpoints" default="default"/>
            <parameter name="directory"/>

<server id="${instance-name}" exe="icepatch2server" application-distrib="false" activation="on-demand">
                <adapter name="IcePatch2" endpoints="${endpoints}">
                    <object identity="${instance-name}/server" type="::IcePatch2::FileServer"/>
                </adapter>
                <adapter name="IcePatch2.Admin" id="IcePatch2.Admin" endpoints="tcp -h localhost"/>
                <property name="IcePatch2.InstanceName" value="${instance-name}"/>
                <property name="IcePatch2.Directory" value="${directory}"/>
                <property name="Ice.ServerIdleTime" value="300" />
                <property name="Ice.StdErr" value="icepatch_stderr.txt" />
                <property name="Ice.StdOut" value="icepatch_stdout.txt" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.Admin.Logger" value="1" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.Admin.Properties" value="1" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.Locator" value="1" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.Network" value="1" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.Protocol" value="1" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.Retry" value="1" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.Slicing" value="1" />
                <property name="Ice.Trace.ThreadPool" value="1" />
            </server>
        </server-template>

I have no idea which file or directory does it complain about. I have only used relative paths and the grid is started in the same directory as where the IcePatch2 directory is.

Do you guys have any inputs? I probably missed something obvious.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi,

The icegridnode generated a configuration file in the directory pointed by the IceGrid node data path specified with the IceGrid.Node.Data property. This configuration file is then provided to the activated server with --Ice.Config=<path>. For some reasons, it looks like the configuration file gets removed before the server is being started? What is the exact path of the file which isn't found?

Cheers,
    Benoit.

• janos
    janos Germany

Hi Benoit,

So the generated config file is, I would say, in the right place:
    /Users/username/devgrid/node1/servers/IceGrid-Dev.IcePatch2/config/config
    However I just realized, that within that config, the IcePatch2.Directory=serverData refers to its local folder relative to the pwd of the activation of the server.

I tried the following:
    1. Moved the complete folder structure to a /Users/grid/ root folder and kept the reference to the IcePatch2.Directory relative: IcePatch2.Directory=serverData
    2. wiped the registry and the nodes clean
    3. started grid, started nodes, added application and it patched initially

After doing some investigation turns out I had a folder on the path with a comma and a space in it, and the comma was causing the activation of the IcePatch2 server to result in a failure. The error message which helped to figure it out:

-- 06/03/16 17:35:10.746 icegridnode: Activator: activating server `IceGrid-Dev.IcePatch2'
    icepatch2server: error: createProperties failed: PropertiesI.cpp:404: Ice::FileException:
    file exception: No such file or directory
    path: /Users/username/foldernameWith 
    -- 06/03/16 17:35:10.755 icegridnode: Activator: detected termination of server `IceGrid-Dev.IcePatch2'
       exit code = 1

Sorry for the confusion. Simply the grid was embedded way too deep in a complicated path.

Kind regards,
    Janos