Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice 3.6.2.1 PyPi distribution wheel/build requirements

I have a couple questions about the current PyPi distribution:

1. I was hoping to see wheels for linux, is there a reason you don't supply those?

2. The main question: Since there isn't a wheel for linux (I'm using Ubuntu 16.04), and pip install zeroc-ice builds from source, is there a list of dependency requirements or build instructions? I keep having to attempt to build the package to wait for the next error to know what I have to install next (openssl, libbz2-dev, python3-dev, etc.)

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain

I was hoping to see wheels for linux, is there a reason you don't supply those?

There isn't a good solution for building binary wheels that works across linux distros, source pip seems more appropriate for this case.

The main question: Since there isn't a wheel for linux (I'm using Ubuntu 16.04), and pip install zeroc-ice builds
    from source, is there a list of dependency requirements or build instructions? I keep having to attempt to build the > package to wait for the next error to know what I have to install next (openssl, libbz2-dev, python3-dev, etc.)

For building in Ubuntu 16.04 you need to install the following packages:

libbz2-dev
    libssl-dev
    python-dev or python3-dev

We will improve the docs to mention those requirements

• Thanks, your quick replies always amaze me! :)