Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice Builder raises System.OverflowException

Ice Builder version 4.3.4 in Visual Studio 2015 raises System.OverflowException as shown in the attached screenshot. It doesn't happen all the time; however I see it on a daily basis. After it appears, the only way to get rid of it is to restart Visual Studio.

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain

Hi Ivan,

Can you provide a bit more info, what kind of visual studio project are you using? do you have many projects in the solution, solution folders, any hints that can help us reproduce the issue.

Also are you using Visual Studio 2015 update 3 or a previous version?

Regards,
    José

• Hi José,

Yes, I am using Visual Studio 2015 Update 3. Currently there are 25 projects in my solution. But I remember this error happening even when there were fewer projects in the solution -- maybe 10 or so. One of the projects generates C# code from .ice files, and that's how Ice Builder comes into play. Let me know if you need any additional specifics.

Thank you,
    Ivan

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain

Hi Ivan,

I have a fix for the issue you reported, but I was not able to reproduce it. Can you test the new extension from https://github.com/zeroc-ice/ice-builder-visualstudio/releases/tag/v4.3.5-pre

Just download the VSIX package and install it, you need to unistall the previous version before installing the VSIX package.

Let me know if that works for you.

Regards,
    José

• Hi José,

Thank you very much for fixing the issue. I have installed the pre-release version you provided and so far everything works just fine. I will definitely let you know if I encounter any problems with the new extension.

Best regards,
    Ivan

• Hi José,

Evidently, under certain circumstances, the OverflowException is still happening with the version 4.3.5. I have just reopened my solution and I got the following error with comprehensive stack trace:

Kind regards,
    Ivan

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain

Hi Ivan,

Seems the same issue but in a different code path, I will look into fix it and publish and update.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Regards,
    José

• Hi José,

Thank you! I look forward to an update.

Best regards,
    Ivan