Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice on .Net Core?

Hey, I do C# development on Linux using .Net Core, and I have tried to use Ice with it, but it was complaining about not finding a namespace named ice (I don't remember the exact error, this was a few days ago). When I tried to add ice.dll to the project, it complained that it was not compatible (it used .Net 4.x instead of .Net Core/.netstandard), has anyone gotten Ice to work with .Net Core?

Tagged:

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi,

The Ice DLL does indeed depend on the .NET Framework right now, we don't support using Ice with .NET Core for now.

Cheers,
    Benoit.

• Is it planned? I could try and help port it over to .Net Core if there isn't any native code used in it.

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi Mitchell,

We don't have short terms plan to port Ice to .Net Core. This is certainly something we will reconsider if we have customer demand for it.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get rid of the very few native calls (mostly related to Bzip2 compression which can be made optional). The biggest task is to get rid of the .NET APIs which are not supported with .NET Core (Serializable, ICloneable if I recall correctly) and to integrate with the .NET Core build system.

Feel free to give it a try, all our sources are on GitHub :)

Cheers,
    Benoit.