Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Can't compile the Python package because of an undeclared value

Hello!

I try to build a small docker container with a python script that uses the Ice package and I can't build it via pip.

There are several official images with python and tried several of them in different combinations:
3.6.3-jessie — this is the image with python 3.6.3 based on Debian Jessie with a lot of packages and gcc version 4.9.2. It works well and everything is compiled smoothly I suppose because of gcc version. I'm not just satisfied with the container size in the result.

I also tried two images based on alpine linux version 3.4 and 3.6 with gcc version 5.3.0 and 6.3.0 respectively and in both cases I get the same exception:

src/ice/cpp/src/IceUtil/RecMutex.cpp: In member function 'void IceUtil::RecMutex::init(IceUtil::MutexProtocol)':
src/ice/cpp/src/IceUtil/RecMutex.cpp:129:43: error: 'PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP' was not declared in this scope
     rc = pthread_mutexattr_settype(&attr, PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP);
                                           ^
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I tried to build zeroc-ice python packages version 3.6.4 and 3.7.0.1 and in all possible variants I got that error. It doesn't look like a missing dependency error for me and I don't know what I can I do here.

Do you have any thoughts about it? Is this because of the compiler version or I can just configure it somehow or add a dependency?

g++(tried clang too, the same result) bzip2-dev openssl-dev — this is a minimal dependencies to get that error that I found out

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi,

I believe this is caused by the musl C library from Alpine Linux which doesn't support PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP but instead supports PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE.

You could try installing the PyPI package with the following to see if it works around the issue:

pip install --global-option=build_ext --global-option="-DPTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP=1" zeroc-ice

Can you let us know now if that solves your issue? We'll look into fixing our code to check for this macro.

Cheers,
    Benoit.

• goozler
    edited December 2017

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation! Unfortunately, your suggestion doesn't resolve the issue but I have another error message now:

src/ice/cpp/src/IceUtil/RecMutex.cpp: In member function 'void IceUtil::RecMutex::init(IceUtil::MutexProtocol)':
    <command-line>:0:30: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
    src/ice/cpp/src/IceUtil/RecMutex.cpp:129:43: note: in expansion of macro 'PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP'
         rc = pthread_mutexattr_settype(&attr, PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP);
                                               ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi,

Can you try another workaround? Try using the following instead:

pip install --global-option=build_ext --global-option="-D__USE_UNIX98" zeroc-ice

Our code checks for this macro (defined with Glibc) and use PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE and PTHREAD_MUTEX_ERROR_CHECK when it's defined. We'll fix this check in an upcoming released in order to be compatible with the musl C library.

Cheers,
    Benoit

• Yep! This one works! Thank a lot, I will use this workaround until new release with the fix.