Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Installing libSlice.so

Hi all,
I'm looking at upgrading my applications from ICE 3.6 to 3.7. The project I'm currently looking at uses libSlice directly to parse .ice files and extract information about the objects/types defined in them.
Unfortunately, when I upgraded to v3.7, the install process (from source) didn't install libSlice as 3.6 did. I've had a look around in the make files to see if I could add it to the list of things that get installed, but I couldn't figure out what changes/additions I'd need to make.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    edited April 2018

See

https://github.com/zeroc-ice/ice/blob/3.7/cpp/src/Slice/Makefile.mk#L19

Slice_install_configs           := none

This prevents Slice library from being install, you can comment this out and you will have to do the same with IceUtil.

Note that Slice is an internal library and using this that way will prevent your application to build with an Ice binary distribution.

• Thanks Jose, I'll give that a try.
    If that's the case... is it worth me spending some time writing my own parser for .ice files to get the info I need or is there another supported method?

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain

You can also build cpp/src/Slice sources with your app, if your application already links with libIce.so there is no need to link with IceUtil and that is included with Ice as of 3.7

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL

As Jose suggested, I think your best option is to copy the parsing code you need from ice/cpp/src/Slice to your own application.

Best regards,
    Bernard

• Thanks guys... I've got the lib installed for now... that's got me a good stepping stone.