Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Multiple master nodes

Dear Support team,

I am new to Ice, and currently working on designing the architecture of my new system. Playing with a small PoC now... My system will have the following deployment structure: Master node will be receiving requests from users, (pre)process them, and dispatch the processed requests to one of the other 3 Slave nodes. Those Slave nodes will be responsible for the final request processing and returning it back to Master for returning it to the user. Master node has critical, but quite lightweight logic on it, while Slave nodes do all the meaty job. On the Master node, I have ice patch and ice storm configured.

Now I started thinking about failover and wanted to ask you:
Failing a Slave node is not a problem. Failing Master can be a problem, if not managed. If this my application on all nodes is stateless (so some extent), I thought if I could install Master node code on all the nodes (including ice patch, ice storm). So that when Master node fails, I switch the clients from one failed Master to another one chosen from the functioning Slaves. This makes the system look symmetrical peer-to-peer and more robust. Does this approach make sense from the point of view of Ice? If yes, what topic and config parameters I should look into in order to implement it?

I would really appreciate your reply.

Best regards,
Pavel

Comments