Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

well known ports

In order to satisfy specific requirements, I have to control which ports are opened in my Ice based application. I have defined well known ports for all my adapters but I'm still getting some stray ports that I do not where they are coming from. I am also getting ports for my icegridnode processes and the icegridregistry process as well.

My question is:

What are all the ports that are opened for service adapters? icegridnode? icegridregistry?

I need to be able to define every port that is opened and I have most of them defined but some I can't tell where they are controlled.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi Dennis,

When deploying Ice servers with IceGrid, the Ice servers will listen on endpoints defined in the server deployment descriptors and one additional endpoint the Ice.Admin endpoint, see Using IceGrid Deployment and Ice.Admin properties for information on these.

IceGrid nodes and registries endpoints are described in the Securing IceGrid section of our documentation. IceGrid doesn't listen on any extra endpoints.

How many extra ports do your servers open?

Note that ports are also allocated by the system for client connections established to other Ice servers. If your servers make invocations to other servers, you might therefore see TCP/IP connections with such system allocated ports. There's no way to control the ports allocated by the system for client connections. IceGrid registries and nodes communicate each other and establish such connections.

Cheers,
    Benoit

• That was a great help. Thanks. I'm only interested in the server ports that are opened because this is what our security accreditation agency is interested in. I almost having every listening port opened explicitly defined by my Ice configuration. Now I have some UDP ports that are listening that I'm not defining. What should I be looking for? How do I get those to not show up? I'm not using any UDP capabilities. There appears to be one UDP port opened for each icebox that I have.

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi Dennis,

You can set IceGrid.Registry.Discovery.Enabled=0 to disable the discovery functionality for the IceGrid registry. The IceGrid registry shouldn't listen on a UDP port with this property set.

It's not clear however why your IceBox servers are listening on an UDP port. Do you enable the IceDiscovery or IceLocatorDiscovery plugins?

Cheers,
    Benoit

• Here is a snapshot of the iceboxs running and the UDP port they are listening on. I need to be able to disable these.

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France

Hi,

Can you provide the configuration files of your IceBox servers and services located in C:\Dev\AcePremier\AP4-CORE-IDS\grid\MS_node1\servers subdirectories? Are you using 3rd-party libraries for your IceBox services implementation that could listen on this UDP port?

Cheers,
    Benoit