Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Missing DLL

When I try to compile the Java version of ICE on WinXP, I get the message from slice2java that MSVCP70D.dll was not found. Why aren't the binaries provided sufficient to run the application? I don't have MSVCP70D.dll and don't have any plans on installing Visual C++ software, since I'm using Java.

Thanks,

Dave Forslund

Comments

• Oops, our fault -- we forgot to include that DLL. Please give me a few minutes and I'll put up a new archive on our web server. I'll post a note once I'm done.

Michi.
  • OK, we've updated the archives on our ftp server. Can you please grab another copy and see how you go? Please let us know if you are still having difficulties.

Thanks,

Michi.
  • This is better, but it is a little strange that all the files in the new
    zip folder are individual gzipped. I had to unzip each file independently.
    Now ant at least starts to build correctly. However, I still need a C++
    compiler to build the java code because it seems to depend on Berkeley DB which is distributed only in source code. Since I don't have that, it fails.
    Is there some reason you don't have your build.xml file check for the presence of berkeley db and simply not build that part of ice if the necessary libraries aren't present? I assume that the code wouldn't work any way without the necessary libraries (which aren't in the binary distribution). So I'm not sure what good distributing the binaries without the necessary support libraries (or indicating where to get them). If I have to compile the support libraries, I might as well not have the binaries of your code. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks,

Dave
  • mes
    mes California
    Originally posted by dwforslund
    This is better, but it is a little strange that all the files in the new
    zip folder are individual gzipped. I had to unzip each file independently.
    Thanks for pointing this out, it's been corrected.
    Now ant at least starts to build correctly. However, I still need a C++
    compiler to build the java code because it seems to depend on Berkeley DB which is distributed only in source code. Since I don't have that, it fails.
    Is there some reason you don't have your build.xml file check for the presence of berkeley db and simply not build that part of ice if the necessary libraries aren't present? I assume that the code wouldn't work any way without the necessary libraries (which aren't in the binary distribution). So I'm not sure what good distributing the binaries without the necessary support libraries (or indicating where to get them). If I have to compile the support libraries, I might as well not have the binaries of your code. Perhaps I'm missing something?
    You are correct, you won't be able to build the source code without BerkeleyDB's db.jar file, which is normally built during BerkeleyDB's larger build process.

We will look into the licensing issues involved in supplying BerkeleyDB ourselves, but I'm curious why you're trying to compile the source yourself instead of using the Ice.jar file we've supplied. Any particular reason?
  • I like to see that I have all the items needed for the software. Building
    it is one way of doing this. I also assume that if I don't have the
    compiled library for Berkeley DB, I won't be able to run your software either.
    So I need to compile Berkeley DB on Windows anyway, and I don't have VC++ on my system. Will your code work without BerkeleyDB? If so, why not enable the compilation of it in your ant script by checking for the presence of the library?

Thanks,

Dave
  • Originally posted by dwforslund
    I like to see that I have all the items needed for the software. Building
    it is one way of doing this. I also assume that if I don't have the
    compiled library for Berkeley DB, I won't be able to run your software either.
    So I need to compile Berkeley DB on Windows anyway, and I don't have VC++ on my system. Will your code work without BerkeleyDB? If so, why not enable the compilation of it in your ant script by checking for the presence of the library?

Thanks,

Dave

Everything will work, except for applications that depend on Freeze (which provides persistence).

We will talk to Sleepycat to find out if it's ok to deliver the binaries.

-- Marc
  • That is what I thought. If you can't distribute the SleepyCat binaries, I would suggest you consider enabling the building of your app by detecting that the support libraries aren't present and skipping that code, since it wouldn't run anyway.

thanks,

Dave