Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Documentation : At-most-once Semantics

This is from page 14 of the documentation.
An idempotent operation is an operation that, if executed twice, has different effects than if executed once.

Shouldn't it be the other way around.

An idempotent operation is an operation that , if executed any number of times has the same effects/results.

Btw, if i have some stuff like this, should this be posted under bugs or under comments/suggestions.

thanks,
Dipak

Comments

• Re: Documentation : At-most-once Semantics
    Originally posted by dipakyadav
    This is from page 14 of the documentation.

Shouldn't it be the other way around.

An idempotent operation is an operation that , if executed any number of times has the same effects/results.

Hmmm... I think that's exactly what the descriptions says. It doesn't matter whether you execute the operation once, twice, or n times -- the outcome is always the same, as long as the operation is executed at least once.
    So, I think your description and mine say exactly the same thing.
    Btw, if i have some stuff like this, should this be posted under bugs or under comments/suggestions.

Depends on whether it's a bug or a suggestion :) If in doubt, use bugs.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Re: Re: Documentation : At-most-once Semantics
    Originally posted by michi
    Hmmm... I think that's exactly what the descriptions says. It doesn't matter whether you execute the operation once, twice, or n times -- the outcome is always the same, as long as the operation is executed at least once.

Umm, Michi, if the original quote is correct (and I don't have the doco
    open at the moment) then your descriptions are exactly opposite.
  • Re: Re: Documentation : At-most-once Semantics
    Originally posted by michi

Oops, how terribly embarrassing... Dense as I am, I finally got it: the book says "different" when it should say "the same". I'll fix that for the next version.

So, rest assured, "Bug Reports" is indeed the correct forum to report this ;-)

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Re: Re: Re: Documentation : At-most-once Semantics
    Originally posted by Bruce
    Umm, Michi, if the original quote is correct (and I don't have the doco
    open at the moment) then your descriptions are exactly opposite.

Now, Bruce, congratulations, that's a very diplomatic way of pointing out that I'm up shit creek :)

Rely on Bruce to rub it in... :)

Cheers,

Michi.