Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

ICE mail list or news group

Hi ICEers,

I would like to ask are there any plans to organize Ice mail list or news group? IMHO it is more convinient to to read news group and probably it would be possible to forward messages from forum to NG or mail list also.

Thanks,
Andrey.

Comments

• I find this message board quite convenient. I don't see any reason for a mailing list or newsgroup in addition to this message board.
  • The changes of getting an official Usenet newsgroup approved at this point are zero. We could run our own news server here, but that is hardly better than the bulletin board (which offers searching and other goodies).

The problem with mailing lists is that they keep cluttering up my mail box, even when I'm on holidays or when I want to follow only some topics, but not others.

So, overall, the bulletin board seems to be a good solution, at least for the time being.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • I also like the personal touch with the little pictures. Would be nice if other Ice users would also put a little photo in here. Feels like a big familiy then :)
  • Originally posted by marc
    Would be nice if other Ice users would also put a little photo in here. Feels like a big familiy then :)

I can't work out how to do this. Are you sure it is turned on for normal users?
  • Originally posted by Bruce
    I can't work out how to do this. Are you sure it is turned on for normal users?

Yes, it's enabled. Go to "user cp", then "Change options". Scroll to the bottom, there you can change your "Avatar".
    Yes, it's enabled. Go to "user cp", then "Change options". Scroll to the bottom, there you can change your "Avatar".

Okay, don't know how I missed it. Is this better?
  • mes
    mes California
    Originally posted by Bruce
    Okay, don't know how I missed it. Is this better?
    Doesn't look like it worked. What image format did you use, and how big is the file?

If you're still having trouble, send it to me and I'll set it for you.
  • Originally posted by mes
    Doesn't look like it worked. What image format did you use, and how big is the file?

It was too big. This one ought to work. Not sure that I am actually doing much of a
    service to the Ice community by posting my mug though :)
  • Originally posted by Bruce
    It was too big. This one ought to work. Not sure that I am actually doing much of a
    service to the Ice community by posting my mug though :)

Uh, oh... Bruce, my monitor just blew up when it got to rendering your image. I think you owe me a 21" Trinitron ;-)

But, seriously, it's good to be able to put a face to the name after all these years!

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Originally posted by michi
    The changes of getting an official Usenet newsgroup approved at this point are zero. We could run our own news server here, but that is hardly better than the bulletin board (which offers searching and other goodies).
    Cheers,

Michi.

I agree that these forums are better than using a NG for the time being. Perhaps an NG will be more appropriate when Ice has become more mature (e.g buildable with at least TWO commercial Unix compilers) and has a larger user base (say > 2,000 users).

-apm
  • I would very much prefer a mailling list.
    I find this message board quite convenient. I don't see any reason for a mailing list or newsgroup in addition to this message board.

Well here's a twist. Senior management, in their infinite wisdom, have decided
    that staff have been making too much use of the internet. So they are removing
    web access across the board. We will have a few strategically placed shared
    workstations which we can use if we need it.

I know it is hard to believe that a company would come up with such a policy
    these days, but there you are.

So, if we could have a mailing list interface to the forum that would be good. Possibly
    vbulletin already provide this facility. Or maybe I should find a new employer...
  • Actually I also think that mail list is more convinient just because it will be possible to read postings offline. For example I like to read NG and mail lists on my way home or somewhere else if I have free time. That is why just establishing the mail list in addition to web interface will provide nice alternative to read the forum.

Andrey.