Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

MacOS X Port

benoit
benoit Rennes, France
Hi,

I've ported Ice to MacOS X 10.2! I've attached a tar.gz file containing explanations and patches (for Ice and XercesC). Porting Ice to MacOS X wasn't too difficult, the main problems were because of missing features in MacOS X (wstring, recursive mutex), MacOS X bugs (problem with signaling cond variable without locking the mutex, bug in libstd preventing dynamic library loading) and XercesC bugs! Also, MacOS X requires all symbols to be defined when linking shared libraries, so I had to change a bunch of Makefiles.

Let me know if you have any issues using these patches!

Benoit.

Comments

• Re: MacOS X Port
    Originally posted by benoit
    Hi,

I've ported Ice to MacOS X 10.2! I've attached a tar.gz file containing explanations and patches (for Ice and XercesC). Porting Ice to MacOS X wasn't too difficult, the main problems were because of missing features in MacOS X (wstring, recursive mutex),
    Benoit.

This is interesting. I am currently porting Ice to Solaris and have found that GCC on Solaris does not support wstring so I am using the Forte compiler, which does. However, I am gradually coming to the opinion that the Forte compiler is braindead. How did you overcome the lack of wstring on MacOS? I wonder if I could use a similar approach to get Ice to build on Solaris using GCC.

-apm
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    I've just commented out all the code in src/IceUtil/Unicode.cpp and the unicode test suite. Except for these stringToWString and wstringToString methods defined in this file, Ice doesn't use wstring.

Benoit.