Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Compilation problem under Win XP

I'm trying to compile Ice 1.01 under Windows XP using the .NET Visual environment (and after having installed all the required components - DB, openssl, etc.)

I have had a first problem with IceUtil/UUID.cpp where the conditionnal test (and the similar test on line 47):
#if _MSC_VER > 1200
wchar_t* str;
#else
unsigned char* str;
#endif
generated errors. I had to remove the test to force an 'unsigned char' declaration and generate the executable.

The second issue is when I try to build the Ice directory. I get a message like :
Build started: Project: Ice, Configuration: Release Win32

Performing Custom Build Step
[many similar lines...]
Performing Custom Build Step
Compiling...
UserExceptionFactoryManager.cpp
UserExceptionFactory.cpp
UnknownEndpoint.cpp
UdpTransceiver.cpp
UdpEndpoint.cpp
Transceiver.cpp
TraceUtil.cpp
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(88) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'IceProxy::Ice'
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(89) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'IceProxy::Ice'
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(90) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'IceProxy::Ice'
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(91) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'IceProxy::Ice'
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(92) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'IceProxy::Ice'
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(95) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'IceProxy::Ice'
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(98) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'IceProxy::Ice'
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(88) : error C2039: 'Context' : is not a member of 'operator``global namespace'''
../../include\Ice\Proxy.h(88) : error C3861: 'Context': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup

And the same messages are repeated afterwards for other CPPs.

I don't understand the error message as the declaration seems perfectly right into the Proxy.h file. Is it an issue with the Windows compiler configuration ? A missing option ?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    Which version of Visual C++ .NET are you using? 7.0 or 7.1?
  • I'm using Microsoft Development Environment 7.1(.2292)
    There is no specific reference number for the C++ compiler.

Thanks for your help.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Ice 1.0.1 was released before Visual Studio .NET 2003 ... at that time, there was only one Visual Studio .NET.

If you send an e-mail to support@zeroc.com, I'd be happy to send you a 1.0.1 patch (just a few files) to work-around the bugs introduced in VC7.1. Or you could wait a day or so for Ice 1.1.0: it supports VC7.1 (and 7.0 and 6.0), and includes binary distributions for Windows.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • It works !

I succeeded in compiling Ice 1.0.1 with the patch (but I guess you already know it solves the problem ;)) . I'm going on with my tests.

Thanks again for the help.