Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceUtil::wstringToString link error?

Hi, I write the fallowing code in a dialog based application:

wstring wstr = ...;
string str = IceUtil::wstringToString(wstr);

But a link error occured and the compiler complains that the simbol can not be found.

When I move the same code to an console application, it passed easily.I don't know what's the reason?

Comments

• I use Depends check the IceUtil.dll and find that the simbol name the compiler look for is not the one exist in the lib:confused:

the symbol compiler look for:
    ?wstringToString@IceUtil@@YA?AV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@ABV?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@3@@Z

the symbol in the lib:
    ?wstringToString@IceUtil@@YA?AV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@ABV?$basic_string@GU?$char_traits@G@std@@V?$allocator@G@2@@3@@Z
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hello,

Ice is built with Unicode enabled, and I suspect you're not linking with the Unicode libraries. For example if you're using MFC, you need to link with the 'U' MFC libraries:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_unicode_topics.asp

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Hello, I examined the linkage information and be sure that I used the UNICODE version of MFC, but the wstringToString function STILL can not be find. I tried another function 'generateUUID' and it can be found successfully.
    So I got fully puzzled :confused:

By the way, I even can't use Ice in a MFC project by just include <ice/ice.h>, so I include <winsock.h> before it to make sure some symbols, such as timeval, can be found. Does it bring out the mistake?
  • This problem has been resolved!

Since ICE havn't taken wchar_t as original C++ type when generate the binary version for VC.Net, and for the MFC based project, wchar_t is taken as orininal type by default, if functions take wstring as parameters are used, this linkage error will occur.