Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Multiple Proxy access from different processes?

Can two separate processes access the same proxy through the same endpoints. For example, one process starts and stops an Ice servant and another sends messages to the proxy as long as the underlying servant is running.

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Brian,

Yes, a server can receive connections from multiple clients at the same endpoint, and those clients can use the same servants.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Thanks for the reply Mark. A related question:

Can the two different processes use two different interfaces -- i.e. facets --- to the same servant? I believe that I read that direct facet support is not implemented yet, but could we just use two difference interfaces?

Thanks again,

Brian
  • Originally posted by brian
    Thanks for the reply Mark. A related question:

Can the two different processes use two different interfaces -- i.e. facets --- to the same servant?

Yes -- facets really just are different servants for an Ice object with a single identity.

I believe that I read that direct facet support is not implemented yet, but could we just use two difference interfaces?

Well, we have facet support implemented, but it's likely to change, so we are reluctant to document it just now.

You cannot make the same single servant inherit from more than one skeleton. So, without facets, the answer is "no" -- you can't make a single servant implement multiple interfaces.

But you can add an operation to your interface that gets you a proxy to a different interface. The implementation of both interfaces can be shared behind the scenes. Not quite as elegant as facets, but it might be sufficient as a work-around for what you need.

Cheers,

Michi.