Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Help! I cannot build Freeze successfully in MSVC 6.0 under windows 2003

I build ICE 1.2.0 in MSVC60 under win2003, but apears the following link error.

Configuration: Freeze - Win32 Debug
Linking...
Creating library Debug/freezed.lib and object Debug/freezed.exp
SharedDb.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall Db::set_error_stream(class _STL::basic_ostream<char,class _STL::char_traits<char> > *)" (?set_error_stream@Db@
@Z)
SharedDb.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual int __thiscall Db::verify(char const *,char const *,class _STL::basic_ostream<char,class _STL::char_traits<char> > *,unsigned int)" (?verify@Db@@UAEHPBD0PAV?$basic_ostream@DV?
@_STL@@I@Z)
SharedDbEnv.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall DbEnv::set_error_stream(class _STL::basic_ostream<char,class _STL::char_traits<char> > *)" (?set_error_stream@DbEnv@@UAEXPAV?$basic_ostream@DV?$char_traits@
@Z)
Debug/freeze12d.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

minimal - 4 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I have built the Berkeley DB 4.1.25 debug version and debug static version. But I don't know which sub directory of db-4.1.25 should be included by the IDE, so I copy db_cxx.h and db.h from the build_win32, copy cxx_common.h and cxx_except.h from dbinc into my include directory, and copy both libraries(dynamic and static) into my lib directory, those directories have been put into VC IDE directory options. I try to add DB_USE_DLL macro definition into the project, but more files have this link error(include EvictorI.obj and IndexI.obj).

I have searched the "set_error_stream" word under ICE1.2.0 directory, but I cannot find it. I am very strange for those link error.

What should I do now?

Comments

• Sorry, this is not a problem of ICE
    I have dump the lib of db I built, and compared the signature of the function. I found the db libs I built use the stl of vc not the stlport because the namespace of basic_ostream is stl but not _STL. Rebuilding the db lib with stlport, it is OK.
  • I have had exactly same problem - can you advise in more detail what you did to resolve this.
    I downloaded the third party libraries from the zeroc website so did not have to build the third party libraries.

Thanks
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hello,

The third-party libraries available from www.zeroc.com/download are for Visual C++ 7.0 and 7.1.
    The pure-C libraries (everything except Berkeley DB) may work with VC++ 6; however they depend on the new MSCVR70.dll/MSCVR71.dll runtimes, so you may want to rebuild them with VC++ 6 (or obtain VC++ 6 builds) to minimize the number of MSCVR*.dll used by your application.

Berkeley DB is partly C++, so with VC++ 6, you need to build it like Ice, using STLPort.
    To do so:
    - install STLPort
    - configure your Visual Studio environment to use STLPort: in Tools->Options->Directories, add <stlport home>\include\stlport as the *first* include directory, and add <stlport home>\lib to the library directory list.
    - build Berkeley DB

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Ok thanks for clarifying that - I will build or obtain the third party libraries for VC++ 6 and go from there.