Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Java Servlets & ICE

Is it possible to implement a Java Servlet that would act as an ICE client and allow remote method calls to an ICE server?

Thanks,
Will

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Re: Java Servlets & ICE

Hi Will,
    Originally posted by will
    Is it possible to implement a Java Servlet that would act as an ICE client and allow remote method calls to an ICE server?

Thanks,
    Will

Absolutely, I don't see any problems with this! Your servlet can use Ice for Java and act as a regular Ice client. Let us know if you have any difficulties using IceJ with your servlet.

Benoit.
  • Thanks for the quick response Benoit, I will be trying this out later.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Will
  • Hello,

I have similar question. Is it posible to create java servlet which acts like a ICE SERVER? In my project I want to run ice server as an web-application under Jetty control.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Yes, you can certainly host an Ice server in a jetty controlled web app.
  • matthew wrote: »
    Yes, you can certainly host an Ice server in a jetty controlled web app.

I will be grateful for a clue or an example. Official documentation doesn't say a word about ice servlets and running a server as an web app.
  • Slawomir,

there's no way to have a Servlet's interface methods handle Ice requests directly without writing code yourself. More importantly when we were looking into this (or rather EJB & ICE), there's no way to use the same ThreadPool -- there will always inherently be two. Without knowing more about your architecture, my guess is that your best bet will be to provide a servlet and an ICE implementation if you need both HTTP and RPC handling.

You might also take a look at this thread: http://www.zeroc.com/forums/comments/3717-best-practices-using-ice-object-containers.html

Cheers,
    ~Josh