Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Service implementation comment

Hey there!

Sorry to always speak about services... I'm still rather satisfied with your implementation but I have to issues/ suggestions:

* can you please add a const member function which returns whether the application is being run as a service or not? This should be rather straight forward, all that should be necessary is a boolean flag that gets set in servicemain (or not in case the app isn't being run as a service).

* an --appmode parameter could be introduced, as VNC does in order to specify that the application should be run as a (console) app. This could make things clearer as the app isn't being run with this parameter when being started from the scm!

and for the sake of completeness what I suggested before:

* the introduction of to const (abstract) member functions which return the service name respectively the service description so that one doesn't have to specify those values on the command line when using --install/ --uninstall parameters.

regs,

Stephan

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Re: Service implementation comment
    Originally posted by stephan
    Hey there!

Sorry to always speak about services... I'm still rather satisfied with your implementation but I have to issues/ suggestions:

* can you please add a const member function which returns whether the application is being run as a service or not? This should be rather straight forward, all that should be necessary is a boolean flag that gets set in servicemain (or not in case the app isn't being run as a service).
    Sure, no problem.
    * an --appmode parameter could be introduced, as VNC does in order to specify that the application should be run as a (console) app. This could make things clearer as the app isn't being run with this parameter when being started from the scm!
    Sorry, I don't quite follow you. Can you elaborate?
    and for the sake of completeness what I suggested before:

* the introduction of to const (abstract) member functions which return the service name respectively the service description so that one doesn't have to specify those values on the command line when using --install/ --uninstall parameters.
    Yes, we'll address this as well.

Thanks,
    - Mark
  • Re: Re: Service implementation comment

Was: appmode
    Sorry, I don't quite follow you. Can you elaborate?

Hmm. Yesterday I discovered in the registry that you're running a service with a '--service' parameter. This makes it easier to determine whether the application is being run manually or as a service. '--appmode' (as for VNC) is basically the opposite of '--service' :-))

So I take back my suggestion for '--appmode' :-))

regs,

Stephan