Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code: "Performing Custom Build Step

I'm having a problem compiling any of the samples in the binary distribution of ICE 1.3.0. I've already checked the forums and haven't seen anything similar.

I'm running Visual Studio .NET 2002 on Windows 2000 and trying compile projects in the demo.sln solution.

Every one of the projects gives me the following compile error:

"
Build started: Project: bench, Configuration: Debug Win32

Performing Custom Build Step
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code: "Performing Custom Build Step"

Build log was saved at "file://c:\Program Files\Ice-1.3.0\demo\Freeze\bench\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
bench - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)"

This seems to be the post build step on the .ice file in the project. I've added the Ice bin directory to my path, and rebooted. Restarted Visual Studio several times. I've tried running slice2cpp manually on some .ice files and it isn't reporting an error, but is not generating any new .h or .cpp files either. For example, I assume that running slice2cpp on the hello.ice example under demo\Ice\hello is supposed to generate a hello.h and hello.cpp file but it doesn't seem to do anything. No errors reproted.

Any ideas?

Clay

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    Is icecpp.exe in your PATH?
  • Yes, the ice bin directory is in my path and icecpp is in the bin directory.

I'm able to run icecpp.exe from the command prompt from anywhere on my computer.

I've run this from command prompt:

icecpp hello.ice

While in the /demo/ice/hello folder and got the following output:

"# 1 "hello.ice"
    class Hello
    {
    nonmutating void sayHello();
    idempotent void shutdown();
    };"

Yet, slice2cpp still isn't working.

Clay
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    This is very odd. Could you try with Ice installed in the default location (C:\Ice-1.3.0), and not in a directory with a space?
    Installing in C:\Program Files\Ice-1.3.0 is working on Windows XP (I just tried), but maybe not on Windows 2000.

Also, when building from Visual Studio, you don't need to have anything in your PATH.

Does the BuildLog.htm file contain any clue?
    And from the command prompt, does slice2cpp ouput anything, such as an error message, or it just does nothing?

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Thanks for the help bernard, but still no go.

I've uninstalled ICE from Program Files and re-installed in c:\

Running slice2cpp doesn't output anything at all. It is running though, and passing an invalid filename causes it to output an error message, such a "input files must end with .ice" or whatnot. It's just that passing it a valid .ice file (and I've tried many, including the demo ones, and ones I've created myself) does nothing at all. No new files are generated - I've double checked by passing a valid this_is_a_unique_filename.ice file and then searching my computer for all files named "this_is_unique_filename.*" and only the .ice file was found.

The build log doesn't show anything interesting but paste it here anyhow:

"Build Log
    Build started: Project: helloS, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Environment Space ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=CR1062750-A
    ComSpec=C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /e:16000
    CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/axiomengine
    EXCHICONS=C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\maildsmx.dll
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Administrator
    INCLUDE=C:\Development\Ogre3D\ogrenew\OgreMain\include;C:\DX90SDK\Include;C:\wxWindows-2.4.2\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\atlmfc\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\prerelease;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\include;
    LIB=C:\Development\Ogre3D\ogrenew\OgreMain\lib\Debug;C:\DX90SDK\Lib;C:\wxWindows-2.4.2\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\atlmfc\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\lib\prerelease;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\lib;
    LIBPATH=
    LOGONSERVER=\\CR1062750-A
    MSDevDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98
    NetSamplePath=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1.NET\FRAMEW~1\Samples
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    Os2LibPath=C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;
    Path=C:\Program Files\Ice-1.3.0\bin;C:\DX90SDK\Utilities;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools\bin\prerelease;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\ide;C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\bin;C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN;
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2, AuthenticAMD
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=0602
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINNT
    TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
    USERDOMAIN=CR1062750-A
    USERNAME=Administrator
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
    VSCOMNTOOLS="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools\"
    windir=C:\WINNT
    WXWIN=C:\wxWindows-2.4.2
    XPIPE_HOME=C:\Download\XPipe\xpipe
    _ACP_ATLPROV=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\bin\ATLPROV.DLL
    _ACP_INCLUDE=.;../../../include;C:\Development\Ogre3D\ogrenew\OgreMain\include;C:\DX90SDK\Include;C:\wxWindows-2.4.2\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\atlmfc\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\prerelease;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\include;
    _ACP_LIB=C:\Development\Ogre3D\ogrenew\OgreMain\lib\Debug;C:\DX90SDK\Lib;C:\wxWindows-2.4.2\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\atlmfc\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\lib\prerelease;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\lib;;.;../../../include;C:\Development\Ogre3D\ogrenew\OgreMain\include;C:\DX90SDK\Include;C:\wxWindows-2.4.2\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\atlmfc\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\prerelease;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\include;
    _ACP_PATH=C:\Program Files\Ice-1.3.0\bin;C:\DX90SDK\Utilities;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools\bin\prerelease;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\ide;C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\bin;C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN;
    Command Lines Creating temporary file "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\BAT000001.bat" with contents
    [
    @echo off
    ..\..\..\bin\slice2cpp.exe Hello.ice

if errorlevel 1 goto VCReportError
    goto VCEnd
    :VCReportError
    echo Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code: "Performing Custom Build Step"
    exit 1
    :VCEnd
    ]
    Creating command line "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\BAT000001.bat"
    Output Window Performing Custom Build Step
    Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code: "Performing Custom Build Step"
    Results Build log was saved at "file://c:\Ice-1.3.0\demo\Ice\hello\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    helloS - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) "

Thanks for your continued help. Wish I could try out ICE because I was certainly looking forward to seeing the code in action. Perusing the source is only fun for so long ;-)

Clay
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    I think I found the problem :-)

You have one strange environment variable setting:
    ComSpec=C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /e:16000

ComSpec is just C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe on my computer. When I switch to this "/e:16000" ComSpec, slice2cpp stops working as well. And it still does not work when I set ComSpec back to C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe in my Command Prompt terminal.

So I recommend you remove this e:/16000 from your ComSpec env variable, reboot, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Thanks dude, that did it!

I have no idea how that got into the ComSpec environment variable, but I've actually had problems with other programs in the past (such as nmake) and I'm pretty sure it was the same thing.

You're a life saver :-D

Clay