Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Suggestion for Windows Installer

When building Ice for C++ on Unix, the make install builds generically-named symbolic links to .so files with version names contained in them. For example:

libIceStormService.so -> libIceStormService.so.14 -> libIceStormService.so.1.4.0

Thus, in an IcePack XML descriptor file that references IceStormService, one can say "entry=IceStormService:create" instead of
"entry=IceStormService,14:create". This is nice because we do not have to change that entry with each new version of Ice.

However, we use the same descriptor files for both our Unix and Windows software and since the Windows installer does not create shortcuts(links) like the Unix make does, we were wondering if this could be added so that:

icestormservice.dll -> icestormservice14.dll

I *think* this is the problem because I can run IceStormService on our unix box using our generic entry value, but on WIndows it complains that the entry point cannot be found unless we use "14" in the name.

I know we can make this shortcut ourselves manually, but it would be nice if we did not have to each time we upgrade.

Just wondering if this could be done for future releases?

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Brian,

I've just tried your suggestion: unfortunately Windows does not appear to load DLL through shortcuts. A copy would work, but would also create confusion!

In Ice 1.5.0, we changed slightly the Unix build system to accomodate AIX: we no longer create these symbolic links for libraries dynamically loaded by icebox. We now simply create non-versioned libraries.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Sounds good Bernard,

I think this should make our problem an non-issue.

THanks for looking into this.

Brian