Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IcePack 1.5.0 Discriptors

I like the new discriptors/icepack layout, the 1.4.0 drove me batty!

The question is now how do I get information from my IcePack node into the "application" ie the server ENV and VM-OPTION nodes?( PWD, hostname, architecture, and search for some applications.. I have lots of herterogeneous systems here)

With the old style I had the script calling the icepack server grab configuation information and generate a descriptor based on this dynamic configuation information. The applications/nodes could use this in a dynamic way. Can I call in "remote" discriptors as before? Am I going to have to grab all this information at the node that pushes out the "application?"

thanks, later, tim...

Ice 1.5.0 /IceJ 1.5.0
latest debian sid in P4 running 2.6.7
solaris 9 on various sparc platforms
CC: Sun C++ 5.5 2003/03/12

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Tim,

Glad you like the new descriptor format. It was a change we'd been wanting to make for quite a while, and we're pretty happy with the results.

I'm afraid it's still not completely clear to me what it is you're trying to do. If your goal is to automatically generate certain descriptors, then you can still do that in conjunction with the <include> element. If I'm misunderstanding you, please provide as much detail as possible.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Originally posted by mes
    Hi Tim,

Glad you like the new descriptor format. It was a change we'd been wanting to make for quite a while, and we're pretty happy with the results.

I'm afraid it's still not completely clear to me what it is you're trying to do. If your goal is to automatically generate certain descriptors, then you can still do that in conjunction with the <include> element. If I'm misunderstanding you, please provide as much detail as possible.

Take care,
    - Mark

Yes I'm using include and its working great, the new variable substitution is quite powerful.

I'm doing this now (well I'm working as we speak)
    node-blade.xml:

<icepack>
    <variable name="CRAYONHOME" value="./crayon"/>
    <variable name="ICE_HOME" value="${HOME}/run/Ice-1.5.0"/>
    <variable name="JYTHON_HOME" value="${HOME}/run/jython-2.1"/>
    <variable name="CPYTHON_LIB" value=""/>
    <variable name="DB_JAVA" value="${HOME}/run/lib/java/db.jar"/>
    <include descriptor="crayon-server.xml"/>
    </icepack>

crayon-server.xml:
    <icepack>
    <env>CLASSPATH=${CRAYONHOME}/classes:${ICE_HOME}/lib/Ice.jar:${JYTHON_HOME}/jython.jar:${DB_JAVA}</env>
    <vm-option>-Dpython.home=${JYTHON_HOME}</vm-option>
    <vm-option>-Dpython.path=${CRAYONHOME}/lib/python:${JYTHON_HOME}/Lib${CPYTHON_LIB}</vm-option>
    <vm-option>-Dpython.cachedir=./jython-cache</vm-option>
    </icepack>

now I would like to have the node-blade.xml generated on the "remote" node by a script filling in the values for me. As it stands, and as I believe, all the descriptor files are local, not remote. -or- get the variables in crayon-server.xml filled in at the remote node, not the deploying node.

Hope this clears up what I'm trying to do... still trying to get my system over to the new config so things are still a bit fuzzy..... :-)

tim...
  • mes
    mes California
    You are correct, the descriptor files are now all local to the deploying host. Of course, that doesn't preclude you from including files that reside on remote hosts via a shared filesystem.

It's not currently possible to have the node perform variable substitution on your descriptors, although I can see how that would be useful.

Take care,
    - Mark