Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Need help with Ice Installation

Hi,

Iam a college student.. i am in the process of learning Ice. I started the Ice installation for Java in Linux environment. I downloaded both IceJ-1.5.1 and Ice-1.5.1 and then added Ice-1.5.1/bin and IceJ-1.5.1/lib/Ice.jar to the classpath. When i was trying to create the sample application from the pdf document, it says slice2java: command not found. where is my mistake?

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Welcome to the forums! You need to add Ice-1.5.1/bin to your PATH environment variable, not the CLASSPATH environment variable.

Benoit.
  • Thanks Ms Benoit,

I downloaded IceJ-1.5.1 and Ice-1.5.1 and added Ice-1.5.1/bin to the PATH variable. What else should i do to run the sample demo/Ice/hello application. what has to be added to the classpath?

i get the following error when i run
    \IceJ-1.5.1\demo\Ice\hello\classes>java Server

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Ice/Object

Please help me to run the existing sample compiled application before i create my own application

Thanks again
    Anitha
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Take a look at the instructions in the IceJ-1.5.1/INSTALL file, you need to add IceJ-15.1/lib/Ice.jar to your CLASSPATH to be able to run the demos.

Benoit.
  • Slice2java

Thanks Ms Benoit.. i got that right now.. but I get the following error when i use the slice2java command.. what could be my problem?

slice2java: error while loading shared libraries: libSlice.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  • Just for others to understand it.

Hello,
    just for others to set up the FC3 Ice:

/home/.bash_profile
    # .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
    if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    	. ~/.bashrc
    fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH
    unset USERNAME
    export ANT_HOME=/usr/local/apache-ant-1.6.5
    export PATH=${PATH}:${ANT_HOME}/bin
    export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_04
    export PATH=${PATH}:${JAVA_HOME}/bin:${JAVA_HOME}/lib
    # export ICE_HOME=/usr/share/slice
    export ICE_HOME=/usr
    export CLASSPATH=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_04/lib/tools.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_04/lib/dt.jar:.:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_04:classes:/usr/lib/Ice-2.1.2/Ice.jar

Greetings
    surfer