Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

ICE and Java RMI

I am very interested in ICE and Java, I want to use them comprehensively.
Then I can take advantage of the simpleness of Java programming and multi-language of ICE.

CORBA has a mechanism for communicating between Java RMI and IIOP (RMI over IIOP), does ICE protocol has a similar mechamism?:)

Comments

• No. We don't provide anything to interoperate between RMI and Ice. Doing this would be quite a lot work (although not quite as much work as for CORBA), and with little benefit. Having worked an quite few object model integration projects in the past, believe me, the easiest way to do it is to write yourself an application-specific proxy server. Generic solutions always fall short of expectations, typically because they are difficult to configure and, in order to deal with the impedance mismatches between different object models, end up generating APIs that look like a dog's breakfast... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Thanks for your reply!:D
  • hi, Michi,
    As an ICE fan, I believe that Ice will succeed. Now as a user of Ice, one of my tasks is to let my clients also believe this and our ice-based system. It is a hard thing for me to compare Ice to other popular technologys such as web service , corba, EJB, RMI-IIOP and so on. I noticed a post of Benard

http://www.zeroc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=570&highlight=iiop

and hope you can give a panoramic infomation in one of the future connections. I think it is helpful for us to propagandize ICE.

Thanks

OrNOt