Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

porting an Ice App to IceE

I have an application written in Ice and I need to port it to IceE, my current issue is some of the header files used aren't in IceE in particular Ice/Application.h and some diffs between Ice.h and IceE.h Is the a porting guide that I haven't found?

Another question, the comparison chart mentions SSL and UDP are not built into IceE. Does this mean neither protocol is included or "SSL using UDP" is not in IceE?
Thanks

Comments

• dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Paul22 wrote: »
    I have an application written in Ice and I need to port it to IceE, my current issue is some of the header files used aren't in IceE in particular Ice/Application.h and some diffs between Ice.h and IceE.h Is the a porting guide that I haven't found?

There is no porting guide other than the README/INSTALL files included in the distribution. The README in particular lists the differences between Ice and Ice-E, one of which is that Ice-E does not include the Application helper class. Therefore you need to take care of the communicator initialization yourself. Take a look at any of the demos for examples of how to do this.
    Paul22 wrote: »
    Another question, the comparison chart mentions SSL and UDP are not built into IceE. Does this mean neither protocol is included or "SSL using UDP" is not in IceE?

Ice-E does not include support for either protocol. If you have commercial need for either please contact us at sales@zeroc.com.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Paul,

Note that there is no such thing as SSL over UDP.

Ice supports 3 transports: tcp, ssl, and udp. You can look at "ssl" as the secure version of "tcp" (with authentication and encryption); Ice however does not provide a secure version for "udp".

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • ICE-E and SSL support

Dear Ice Team,

Last year you wrote about suporting SSL and UDP in ICE-E:
    dwayne wrote: »
    Ice-E does not include support for either protocol. If you have commercial need for either please contact us at sales@zeroc.com.

Has anything changed since then? Do you plan to support SSL in ICE-E soon?

Regards,
    Lukasz